Rebanding reception improved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loco-lee

With all the scanner user community complaints of P25 decode issues and LSM simulcast systems coming online, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience yet where scanner reception got better once rebanding of a said system is done?

I have a cell tower between me and the closest tower to said trunk system I monitor (yes, LSM) and decode is hit or miss so I am wondering if once they reband if it will be any better in the slightest?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
If anything it has gotten better around here, but I think it is a little early to tell. We really won't have a full picture until public safety and Nextel are in their own bands.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I rather doubt that rebanding will having much, if any, effect on decoding systems that are using LSM. Until the scanner manufacturers dig into this issue and issue firmware fixes (yeah, right) I'm afraid we are stuck with what we have, for now. best regards..Mike

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
We rebanded our trunked system back in 2009, and there were not any changes that would have affected performance. Rebanding consists of switching the operating frequencies. In most cases, the operating frequencies will drop 15MHz. We did retune our combiners, but didn't need to change out the antennas, they already covered the range.
We did go through and do a complete system alignment, and that may have improved system coverage slightly, but that was a byproduct, not because of the rebanding.

I doubt you will see any improvements. Nextel moved most of their stuff already, if you were going to see an improvement, you would have seen it by now.

Also, different parts of the country are running behind, specifically areas along the boarder with Mexico are delayed due to agreements with the Mexican authorities.

n5ims

In theory rebanding will have zero affect on receiption since it's only replacing one nearby frequency for another. That said, as part of the rebanding process the system owner will often have the system retuned so it will perform best since the "center frequency" will now be lower than prior to rebanding. If the system had gotten somewhat out-of-tune, this retuning may make it work better. For old systems that don't get regular maintenance this will be more pronounced, while newer systems or others that get regular maintenance it probably won't be noticable.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
In theory rebanding will have zero affect on receiption since it's only replacing one nearby frequency for another. That said, as part of the rebanding process the system owner will often have the system retuned so it will perform best since the "center frequency" will now be lower than prior to rebanding. If the system had gotten somewhat out-of-tune, this retuning may make it work better. For old systems that don't get regular maintenance this will be more pronounced, while newer systems or others that get regular maintenance it probably won't be noticable.

This makes sense to me. :)

charlielinn

Reception has definately improved for me since rebanding here in Sacramento County. One of my receivers couldn't lock onto the control freq. at all..now it does very well. Same antenna, same location.
Glad gmclam noticed this improvement also. nice to know it ain't just me!!

jackj

As I understand it, the re-banding is to eliminate Nextel's interference to Public Safety frequencies. So it would make sense that, once re-banding is complete, scanner reception on 800 MHz systems should improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.