Rebanding - Win 500: is my understanding correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brumey

CFO (Chief Fix-It Officer)
Hello:
I have a pro-197 and a pro-106 digital scanners. Scanning of my local public safety bands went quite a while ago and I have finally gotten around to fixing it. I have Win500 and I renewed my subscription to RR. Personally, I like to understand the principles and not only rely on the convenience of importing but, time is limited so I did an import and everything seems to work. I did not change anything in the Win500 system to tell it the system I imported was rebranded.

My questions are:
1) Do you have to select a rebanding checkbox in Win500 if you import a system?
2) if you don't need to select the rebanding option when importing from RR, when would you select it? I assume if I manually entered the new frequencies in Win500 I would then have to select the rebanding option?
3) what would happen if I selected the rebanding option after I do an import? Or does the import set the rebanding option.

I read about the whole rebanding theory this morning but I guess I am confused what exactly the rebanding option does in software.

What if I did not have Win500, how would I tell the scanner it was rebranded and to calculate channels correctly?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

scannerfreak

Database Admin
My questions are:
1) Do you have to select a rebanding checkbox in Win500 if you import a system?

Only if the site(s) are not marked as rebanded in the DB. If they are marked as rebanded the software will set it up for you.

2) if you don't need to select the rebanding option when importing from RR, when would you select it? I assume if I manually entered the new frequencies in Win500 I would then have to select the rebanding option?

Correct, or when importing a system that has not had it's sites marked as rebanded yet.

3) what would happen if I selected the rebanding option after I do an import? Or does the import set the rebanding option.

See above.

I read about the whole rebanding theory this morning but I guess I am confused what exactly the rebanding option does in software.

It sets the tables that will tell the scanner to go to the correct channel after rebanding.

What if I did not have Win500, how would I tell the scanner it was rebranded and to calculate channels correctly?

You can set the tables in the scanner itself without using software. You would look at the TSYS options to view and set the tables.

Hope this helps :)

brumey

CFO (Chief Fix-It Officer)
Very helpful, thank you.

I am back at home tonight and will take a look at the WIN500 software to see if it indicated the rebinding option. Probably not because RR had my system flagged that it has been rebanded.

It really helps knowing the theory and taking the time to understand it even though options exist to make it work easily. I hope to challenge myself to setting up a trunking system manually on the scanner and another manually using the software. RR is a great resource but knowing how to do it manually is useful.

Saying that, I just purchased a Uniden HomePatrol. My first non-RS/GRE scanner. It almost shields you too much from the workings of things. I've only used it for an hour or so and need to play around with it a lot more.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.