Rebanding's Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
Everyone is aware of the rebanding situation, and how many trunk tracking scanners will be almost useless. I was just thinking of how fast these models will be de-valued once rebanding is complete. For people who still have a lot of analog transmissions, you will be able to pick up scanners on the cheap here and on E-Bay. Someone who solely listens to their city's 800 MHz Motorola system, will have to upgrade. That person might not have a use, and be looking to unload their "outdated" equipment for a quick sale. Just fun to think of picking up some 780's and PRO 2053's for bargain prices, much like one can pick up crystal scanners currently.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
KC2GVX said:
... For people who still have a lot of analog transmissions, ...
Translate that, or read "...a lot of conventional transmissions, ...". :D

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
Yes, that sounds better. I meant to convey analog, conventional, or non Motorola 800 MHz frequencies to listen to. That is why my degrees are not in english :)

jrplmil

I live so far in the sticks they thank signal scrambling means going sideband. I have already goten a few scanners real cheap and they work great in this non-digital area. 150 miles to the nearest trunking system and it isnot digital. I think I got a scanner in every room and each auto plus 3 or 4 spares. I am sure glad my wife loves me!!!!

mciupa

Database Admin
Send your "useless" scanners to Canada.:p
We will provide good homes for them.:twisted:

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Like it's been said many times before, rebanding is not the end of the world.
Not all systems will have to be rebanded and the process seems to be taking longer, having more problems and cost than anticipated. So there will be many more years before all current scanners nationwide get affected.

Some scanners will be able to have a firmware upgrade and some might need to be sent to the manufacturer to swap a CPU chip on them. Some like the Pro-96/2096 might be able to be programmed manually for the trunking tables.

And still, there's several other types of systems that won't be affected at all, like LTR, EDACS, P25 and Motorola systems in frequency bands other than 800MHz that the current scanners will still work on.

Heck, it's even possible that many agencies decide that now it's the time to upgrade to P25 from their older Motorola system and then it'll be back in business for everybody that already has a digital scanner.

I personally don't think there'll be that big of a "flood" of scanners for sale once rebanding is finalized nationwide.

Status
Not open for further replies.