Rebroadcasting digital OPP to analog on their original channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliffyj

Premium Subscriber
Wondering the legality on the title of the thread. Recently my local OPP went to digital service was wondering how much trouble I could get into for rebroadcasting their digital channel over their original UHF/VHF channel.
As far as I know, the new broadcast isn't encrypted too.
I wouldn't be hacking it, I'd just be listening to the digital signal and sending it back over their original analog channel.
Thoughts and info please.

Cliffyj

Premium Subscriber
The OPP have been digital at least 20 years now but it's really a moot point because in the next few weeks, they'll be 100% encrypted.
Not where I live...they were on analog for years...just went to digital 2 weeks ago here...though this didn't really answer anything. However, even encryption can be broken with SDR and a few PC programs. That however is 100% illegal, and honestly not worth the time and effort to set up from the videos I've seen on the topic.

The reason I ask is because the OPP here do little to nothing about basically anything but assaults. I can't even count the amount of times I've heard a call out for service and immediately heard the reply "ya we know who they are,just clear it to my badge" which seems wrong to me.

I'm more wanting everyone in my town to still be able to hear them and hold them accountable. We do after all, pay them to enforce laws not ignore them. So going to a more expensive digital signal just seems,to me at least, be an easy way to mask their lack of service...and thought it would be funny for their digital signal to be rebroadcast on their original publicly available channel again.

phyberoptics

Premium Subscriber
Wondering the legality on the title of the thread. Recently my local OPP went to digital service was wondering how much trouble I could get into for rebroadcasting their digital channel over their original UHF/VHF channel.
As far as I know, the new broadcast isn't encrypted too.
I wouldn't be hacking it, I'd just be listening to the digital signal and sending it back over their original analog channel.
Thoughts and info please.
It is illegal to transmit on any frequency you aren't licensed for, but far worse, you could be putting someone's life at risk. Don't mess with first responders. It's actions like this and people showing up to calls that have forced services to encryption in the first place & it's absolute reckless behavior.

Muxlow

Super Secret
Not where I live...they were on analog for years...just went to digital 2 weeks ago here...though this didn't really answer anything. However, even encryption can be broken with SDR and a few PC programs. That however is 100% illegal, and honestly not worth the time and effort to set up from the videos I've seen on the topic.

The reason I ask is because the OPP here do little to nothing about basically anything but assaults. I can't even count the amount of times I've heard a call out for service and immediately heard the reply "ya we know who they are,just clear it to my badge" which seems wrong to me.

I'm more wanting everyone in my town to still be able to hear them and hold them accountable. We do after all, pay them to enforce laws not ignore them. So going to a more expensive digital signal just seems,to me at least, be an easy way to mask their lack of service...and thought it would be funny for their digital signal to be rebroadcast on their original publicly available channel again.

...Well they HAVE been digital for the last 20 years..What your talking about is listening to their Vehicle Repeater frequency that was analog UHF (I'm sure you use a Baofeng radio to do it too)
You saying you can "break" the encryption with a simple SDR and software isn't worth it...yet you looked into it quite a bit sorta hints your doing :poop: you shouldn't be doing and I think we all know where this thread is heading!
:rolleyes:

OPP/EMS everyone on FleetNet (including FleetNet itself) is gone done and encrypted so NO way you can listen to them unless they have you're in the back of their cruiser. But hey! Do let us know when you crack the AES-256 though.

Cliffyj

Premium Subscriber
..Well they HAVE been digital for the last 20 years..What your talking about is listening to their Vehicle Repeater frequency that was analog UHF (I'm sure you use a Baofeng radio to do it too)
You saying you can "break" the encryption with a simple SDR and software isn't worth it...yet you looked into it quite a bit sorta hints your doing :poop: you shouldn't be doing and I think we all know where this thread is heading!
:rolleyes:

OPP/EMS everyone on FleetNet (including FleetNet itself) is gone done and encrypted so NO way you can listen to them unless they have you're in the back of their cruiser. But hey! Do let us know when you crack the AES-256 though.
A lot of assumptions here.I looked in to it quite a bit. I looked it up on YouTube, watched a half hour video about it and decided not worth the hassle...hardly looking into it quite a bit...and where the thread heading

Literally asking for someone with actual knowledge on the topic for Information about it...and again since you clearly read one line of a post then **** all over someone. I said I wouldn't be breaking into it nor do I see the need to go through that much trouble and effort to do so.

Also nice job making accusations that I'm already doing that....people like you disgust me you've taken my simple question and twisted my words into your own narrative...must suck to be you. Why else would you go out of your way to think up these accusations despite my clear words saying I know it's possible to hack it.
I don't want to do that and only want to rebroadcast digital over UHF. Oh well, I should of known that trolls in their parents basements would have lots to say and actual people with working knowledge are few and far between.
Also EMS and Fire are not digital,all available on regular old UHF/VHF and its the broadcast from the Dispatch Centre.. I find it funny that your talking as though you know the specifics of where I live and what I listen to. In fact, the only thing you were right about in your useless post was they type of radio I own, one of them at least...
Do better, have a great day 😀

Status
Not open for further replies.