Receive Starcom21 phase 2 transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markofkane

I want to receive Starcom 21 transmissions used by the Illinois State Police. I found out it requires a phase 2 scanner. I need help with entering the info on a Uniden scanner. Is it possible to listen to these transmissions? I am considering Uniden BCD996P2 Digital Mobile TrunkTracker V Scanner. I would be so happy if I could. Thanks!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I want to receive Starcom 21 transmissions used by the Illinois State Police. I found out it requires a phase 2 scanner. I need help with entering the info on a Uniden scanner. Is it possible to listen to these transmissions? I am considering Uniden BCD996P2 Digital Mobile TrunkTracker V Scanner. I would be so happy if I could. Thanks!
STARCOM21 is listed as a P25 Phase II system because that's how it is identified on control channel data. However, at this time, the database shows that the majority of talkgroups are P25 Phase I, as shown by a D in the Mode column. Talkgroups using Phase II are shown as a T in the mode column. Taking a quick look at the database, some counties have apparently gone to Phase II, some are all Phase I, and some have both Phase I & Phase II talkgroups in use.

However, that does not matter. The 996P2 can receive both Phase I and Phase II talkgroups. Programming the scanner is the same regardless of which mode is used. You use the same system type for either. Some counties are mostly in the clear, others mostly encrypted, some are mixed. Find your county in the database page for the system to see which, if any, of the agencies you want to monitor are encrypted. Encryption is noted by the letter E appended to the Mode designator. A Capital E such as DE or TE, means that the talkgroup is always encrypted. If a Lower Case e is shown, such as De or Te, then transmissions are encrypted only part of the time.

The other thing to check on, which probably would be done best in the Illinois Forum, is whether there are Simulcast issues in your area. I would suggest that you request to have your thread moved to the state forum, where someone in the area would be more likely to see it, & advise if there are reception issues or not. To do that, do not create a new thread. Instead, click on the Report in the lower left corner of one of your posts, and request that a moderator move your thread to the state forum.

Markofkane

First of all, thank you for Freescan, and your databases. I could have never programmed my new digital scanner without your help.
Here's my question:
Why is State Police districts listed under so many systems? I have District 18, 9, and 11 in my preferences. I put in all the Systems, and that's the only way I can here them.
I don't have the concept of Systems and groups down yet. Say, there is a traffic stop in Jersey County. But the system that comes up is Bonfield, or many other systems. I don't even know where a lot of these systems are.
I am thankful my scanner works. It's just confusing knowing what systems I actually need. I suppose I can write down all the active systems on my scanner, and delete the rest. Thanks for reading. Radio Reference is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Markofkane

When I look on Radio Reference, the only modes I see are FMN, and P25. Unless I am looking in the wrong place. Thanks for your response!

VASCAR2

When I look on Radio Reference, the only modes I see are FMN, and P25. Unless I am looking in the wrong place. Thanks for your response!

Mark I’d be glad to answer many of your questions regarding how Starcom21 works and how to understand the information provided in the data base. You can send me a private message or email and I might be able to help you better understand these new radio systems. I’m retired and enjoy programming and discussing scanners.

As to the specific as to what your seeing are only NFM or P25 the NFM stands for Narrow FM (Frequency Modulation) radio transmission type or P25 type system.

When the scanner stops scanning on a conventional frequency like a VHF High Band frequency it will normally display NFM on the scanner information screen. If the system is StarCom21 the screen will display P25 as it is a digital format (system). There can be digital P25 conventional frequencies in VHF High band or other frequency band as it is specific digital two way radio format (think DVD or BlueRay TV player or older still VHF or Betamax).

N9JIG

Sheriff
When you look at the Starcom 21 system in the database the first part is the list of Sites. Sites are scattered thruout the state and are not tied to specific users for the most part. (The exception to this is the Zone 5 sites, these are limited to the Cook County Sheriff and other users of the Cook County owned portion of the system...)

With a BCD996P2 radio one programs a trunked system like SC21 with several parts:

• The System contains information about the overall system, this includes the name, system type and whether you are scanning or searching.
  • Sites include one or more of the radio towers' frequencies. SC21 contains hundreds of Sites, each Site contains a handful of frequencies. These are all in the 700 and 800 MHz. range. You MUST have at least one Site, and each Site must contain at least the currently active Control Channel. I usually recommend that you program in the local Site and any nearby Site that you are reasonably likely to want to listen to. Usually this means any Site in your county and perhaps the neighboring counties you might be close to. Remember that come counties may have multiple Sites.
  • Groups include the list of Talkgroups that you want to listen to. In Trunked Scan you will only hear the Talkgroups you program into the System. In Trunked Search you will hear all the activity on the Site you are monitoring, the Talkgroups you program into the radio will show up with the names you program and the ones not programmed will appear with the Talkgroup number. You can have one big Group with all your Talkgroups or multiple Groups with segmented lists, such as Police in one Group, Fire in another and PW in a third. That part really doesn't matter much, it is up to you.
Most programming software (ProScan, ARC-XT etc.) allows you to leverage your RadioReference Premium Membership and download directly from the RR Database into the software then to the radio. If you end up with a ZIP Code based radio like a BCD436, 536 or an SDS then Sentinel allows the same thing but no RR Membership is required.

If you are in an area other than those using Simulcast the 996P2 is a great choice, I have used it all over Illinois with great results. In the greater Chicago area, Peoria and Metro East they use Simulcast which works less well on most scanners other than the SDS100 and SDS200.

As long as you download the system from RadioReference or have it set to a P25 trunking system do not worry about the Mode settings, that is set automatically. NFM (Narrow FM) is used for most analog communications while P25 is a digital mode used by SC21. P25 is further broken down onto Phase 1 (one conversation per frequency) and Phase 2 (2 voice paths separated by timeslots).

The 996P2 handles both seamlessly as does the 436/536/SDS. The only digital scanners produced right now that do not work on Phase 2 are the WS1040/1065. If you get a used scanner make sure it does handle Phase 2. With SC21 most Phase 2 activity is in the Chicago area but it is possible that other areas could switch, especially in the Metro East area.

If all this sounds confusing then consider a ZIP Code scanner like the HP2/436/536/SDS/TRX series. These let you program by entering a ZIP code, the radio will then grab the freqs etc. from the RadioReference database automatically for that area. It isn't perfect but it is an easy way to get you going until you learn to do your own programming. Then you can use your own programming and the ZIP Code function when traveling. If you do get a ZIP Code based scanner be sure that you have a Windows computer so you can update the database. This is simple and requires no radio knowledge. If you do not have a Windows computer and cannot access one most dealers offer a paid service where they will update the database for you but I really suggest that you do that yourself.

Markofkane

I am receiving what I was hoping for, but the scanner has some many systems to go through, it takes awhile to cycle through them all. If I completely open the squelch, it it really slows down. I just feel that it's scanning a bunch of stuff that never plays audio. I was hoping for a way to speed it up. Maybe I can take out a few districts.

N9JIG

Sheriff
First off do not reduce the squelch below the noise floor, that will just slow things down.

First off, in your radio do you have one System for StarCom21 or do you have many Systems with different Sites? It is easier to have a single System with multiple Sites so you do not have to duplicate all the Talkgroup programming.

Look at the list of Sites in your radio. If you are using it at home only keep the Sites in and around your county. If you live in Peoria there is no reason to keep sites in Springfield and Chicago as there is no way you are going to hear them.

Don't worry about having too many Talkgroups (channels) in your System, that does not affect the scan rate.

VASCAR2

I am receiving what I was hoping for, but the scanner has some many systems to go through, it takes awhile to cycle through them all. If I completely open the squelch, it it really slows down. I just feel that it's scanning a bunch of stuff that never plays audio. I was hoping for a way to speed it up. Maybe I can take out a few districts.

What scanner are you using Markofkane?

Markofkane

First off do not reduce the squelch below the noise floor, that will just slow things down.

First off, in your radio do you have one System for StarCom21 or do you have many Systems with different Sites? It is easier to have a single System with multiple Sites so you do not have to duplicate all the Talkgroup programming.

Look at the list of Sites in your radio. If you are using it at home only keep the Sites in and around your county. If you live in Peoria there is no reason to keep sites in Springfield and Chicago as there is no way you are going to hear them.

Don't worry about having too many Talkgroups (channels) in your System, that does not affect the scan rate.
I don't which Sites I should keep. I live in Greene Co. within a mile of Jersey County.
The main city in Jersey County is Jerseyville, the main City in Greene is Carrollton. There is no option for any of those in the left pane of the Freescan Software. So I choose all. I tried just choosing Madison County and Springfield, but wasn't picking anything up.
In the right pane I checked State Police district 18 (our district) and District 11, (not to far from me), and District 9 (Springfield)
I have noticed that transmissions from these districts seem to come from many "sites", many of which I never heard of.
It's confusing. To me, anyway. Thanks!

N9JIG

Sheriff
There are no Sites located in Greene County, it is covered by sites in adjoing counties. For Greene County I would put in the Sites in Macoupin (307, 312, 324), Calhoun (306, 352, 356) and maybe Madison (301).

As for Groups, remember Groups only contain Talkgroups, so you want to put in the ones in your area (ISP Districts, Sheriff etc.) or put the system in the radio to Trunked Search. Talkgroups (channels) can come from a variety of Sites, they are not tied to a specific one for the most part, it all depends on where radios are located and the sites they connect to

Markofkane

Thanks, I am learning. I have had analog scanners since 1992. I used to listen to police and Ham frequencies on a 6 band radio prior to that. I have been wanting a digital radio since the State Police moved to Starcom21, but didn't want to pay the outrageous price for a capable scanner.
Greene county Sheriff went to encrypted system Jan. 2018. So I cannot listen to them anymore.
I am supposing that any system that has the districts in the group I want will do?
Augusta,Mendon, Chester, LaSalle, North Golconda, Beaver Dam SP, Rock Creek,Congerville,Kampsville/Mozier, are the ones I hear Dist. 18 on (there are many more)
Say I just put in Kampsville/Mozier, I wonder if I would then get all the District 18 transmissions?
Kampsville is just across the river from me, but further Northeast.

VASCAR2

Markofkane, location is everything when it comes to using a scanner. Many Starcom21 sites are rated for 25 to 30 miles which is a pretty good indicator unless the site uses directional antennas and is along the border with another state. I live close to the Indiana state line and the towers near the Wabash River in Illinois are all directional antenna to limit signal encroachment into the adjoining states.

Here is a list of the sites you could potentially receive.

Site 238 Lynville, Morgan County

Site 307 Beaver Dam State Park, Macoupin County

Site 312 Mt. Olive, Macoupin County

Site 324 Nilewood, Macoupin County

Site 338 Nebo, Pike County

Site 306 Brussels, Calhoun County (Directional antenna pointing straight north)

Site 356 Kritesville, Calhoun County

Site 352 Kampsville/Mozier, Calhoun County

All three Calhoun County sites use directional antennas and are intended to increase coverage in the Illinois River - Mississippi River basin near the border with Missouri. All the other listed sites are omni directional antenna sites and depending on your location and if your using an outside antenna you might pick up one or two or all the sites listed.

With the Illinois State Police District 18 the 18 A Talk Group will usually be broadcast on towers adjoining the District 18 counties. As an example the tower at Beaver Dam State Park site 307 likely carries radio traffic from District 11 and 18. There is a good chance you could hear District 9 Springfield off the Lynville Morgan County site.

VASCAR2

Another thing to help your scan rate is to manually lock out all sites you don’t want to hear. The Galconda site is in Pope County near the Ohio river on the Kentucky border. There is no way your going to hear radio traffic or be in range with the LaSalle County or sites further than 40-50 miles away unless there is skip. A radio with state wide access like the State Police can travel anywhere in the state and still communicate with their home District. Troopers are advised to keep their Starcom radio selected to the District for their physical location when travelling around the state.

Some frequencies are reused as control channels and as an example, Sumner Site 302 uses the same CC Frequency as the Mattoon Site. Depending on which site your scanner stops you could get misleading information on the actual site. If you hold on the site the frequency will be displayed plus the site number (SID:S0140h-0302) will be displayed. When my scanner was picking up Mattoon the display showed SDS:S0140h-0324 so it was obvious it was the same frequency used on a different site.

Markofkane

I am curious on how I can lock out systems, other than all the individual groups. Is it possible with the Uniden BCD996P2? I can scroll, but it's zillions of groups. I guess I'll have to look at the manual again. I can receive Districts 9, 11, and 18 with no trouble with the telescoping antenna that came with the scanner. However, it seems to scan over conventional channels without stopping, although the signal strength meter is high. I don't know what that's about. Thanks for responding.

VASCAR2

If it is skipping over conventional channels it is possible they are digital encrypted, are digital like P25/NXDN, have the audio setting for CTCSS or DSC with the wrong analog or digital code. If you press menu the display should show a list, click on Program System. You can then review each system programmed into the scanner.

On conventional systems like VHF frequencies used by local Fire Departments the scanner could be configured by county or other descriptions. Each system have options where on conventional frequency groups you can lock out the complete group.

With trunked system you can navigate through the onscreen menu to lock out the individual towers or groups. I use quick keys for towers I frequently switch on or off depending on my location.

Markofkane, I sent you a private message with my email and phone number. I’d be glad to try and help you sort out the menu settings. There are so many possibilities it is difficult to give specific information on a complex scanner in the forum setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.