Received my new Whistler 1050 scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilbell

Seems to be a re-packaged PSR-500, speaker placed below keypad rather than above. Audio quite good, improved over PSR500. Decodes P25 here in the SF Bay Area just fine. Quite sensitive, better than my Uniden 396XT.

Neil Bell, KJ6FBA

oracavon

Whistler has never made or even announced a model 1050. There is no such thing. This is the second thread in which the OP has claimed to have such a radio, and he did not respond to any of the people who questioned him about it in the original thread. He just keeps posting the same nonsense and then disappears.

Jimbo695

Did it occur to any of you guys that this simply may have been a typo, and that maybe the guy is busy, or his computer is down, or he has other things to do besides live on RR so he can issue an immediate retraction when he got bombed like this ? His user name is his ham call sign and he looks like a responsible participant, so why all the bile ?

oracavon

Did it occur to any of you guys that this simply may have been a typo, and that maybe the guy is busy, or his computer is down, or he has other things to do besides live on RR so he can issue an immediate retraction when he got bombed like this ? His user name is his ham call sign and he looks like a responsible participant, so why all the bile ?

Yes, all of those things did occur to us and to the other posters in the original thread. But consider the following:

He posted the same thing last month in another thread. Since then, he has had time to start a new thread with the same post (a violation of RR rules on cross-posting), but he never responded to any of the multiple queries in the original thread. If he had time to start a new thread, then he certainly had time to respond to the original thread. If his computer were down, he wouldn't have been able to start a new thread. Why would he come back on to RR and start a new thread on the same topic without ever looking at the original thread? The posters in the original thread are still waiting for a response from him, but he chose to ignore them all and start a new thread. That's not the conduct of a responsible participant.

Also, the first time (in the original thread) may have been a typo, but it's not likely that he would make the exact same typo again when starting a new thread.

oracavon

I noticed the listings on Amazon (as well as a few other sites), but see my other post here: http://forums.radioreference.com/gr...acquired-whistler-scanner-not-rs-version.html. No Amazon customers have reviewed the thing, so it's not clear that they actually shipping (although Amazon is generally pretty reliable).

Jeff at Hamstation, a Whistler dealer and regular RR contributor, is regularly on top of this stuff. He reported that the previously announced mid-August availability of the 1040 was delayed to Sep 1, although I suppose it's possible that Amazon got an early shipment due to their market clout.

But getting back to the original point, the 1040 definitely wasn't available at Amazon or anywhere else back in July when the OP claimed to have acquired a "1050". So he certainly didn't have a 1040.

scosgt

Does anyone know if it requires the old RS cable or will use a standard USB cable?

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if it requires the old RS cable or will use a standard USB cable?

What is "it"? This thread was started about a scanner that doesn't exist. If you're referring to the new Whistlers mentioned above, as has been noted many, many times, nothing has changed versus the old GRE/RS versions, they use the same cable.

neilbell

First off, I mistyped the model number, simple mistake. Of course it is a 1040, not a 1050. Those who love to toss darts and never make a typo themselves just have fun being nasty I guess. Yes I am a Ham (KJ6FBA) and have been a scanner user for well over 30 years.

I never said this scanner was different from my PSR-500 other than I feel the audio is slightly more crisp in decoding P25 transmissions. The software and cable work just fine with the Whistler.

Sorry I don't visit this forum every day to respond to idiotic comments made by perfect people who NEVER make mistakes in typing. When you have severely arthritic hands and are over 80 years old as I am, you might even make a typo yourself!

Neil Bell

Status
Not open for further replies.