Received new licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I've been a ham for 57 years since age 14 and had my extra class since 1984. Been a volunteer W5YI and ARRL VE for 5 years, including some teaching of tech and general classes. I certainly have had to update all my knowledge, including that found on the tech, general, and extra class exams. That prompted me to go further. As a teenager, I always thought about broadcast engineering or some radio-related field. Passed my third and second class licenses back at age 19 but never pursued electronics. Instead, went to college and medical school. Now I'm a retired physician at age 70. Decided about a year ago to re-pursue my study of commercial radio to keep my mind active.
In the past six months, doing testing with Gordon West as the COLEM examiner, I have passed the GROL, Radar Endorsement, Advanced Telegraphy, and earlier today, the GMDSS operator/maintainer license (elements 1, 3, 6, 7, 8, and 9). This has enhanced my knowledge of commercial radio, including air, marine, and radar, in which I am very interested. All this has furthered my continued interest in amateur radio and scanning. Just wanted to share this with others.
Regards to all.

Steve AA6IO

K4EET

Chaplain
Steve AA6IO,

That is an awesome accomplishment! I also visited your QRZ page and read a little more about you. You might be interested to know, since my terminal illness is so rare, I have MELAS Syndrome which is causing a host of systemic issues as can be expected with MELAS. I am a long-term (20+ years) Type 2 diabetes patient now on insulin and hoping to get a U-500 insulin pump soon because I am insulin resistant. They say once you meet a MELAS patient, that will be the last one you'll ever meet because it is so rare. Anyway, again, kudos on your awesome accomplishment! Enjoy retirement to the max and if you work the CW bands, perhaps our paths will cross one day.

73, Dave K4EET

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Dave K4EET
No I have never, nor do I know any close colleagues, who have ever encountered a patient with MELAS. Thanks for your comments. I occasionally get on 40 CW, but mostly on DMR, Fusion, and D-Star these days. I have read many of your excellent posts on different threads. Take care and all the best.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.