receiveing analog talk but wont trunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockynsabrina

I live in effingham sc,and would love to monitor the highway patrol.when i program the talk freq. i hear 99% of all activity,evan as far away as 60 miles.im useing a discone ant mounted 30 feet in the air and switching back and forth to a rs 800mhz duckie.for some reason it will not come through as a trunk sys all the time.its hit and miss.hell,i only live 6 miles from effingham tower site.the scanner is a uniden bc898t.this is the only one i have this trouble with.county and city are coming through loud and clear.29200 is the area tg.im just flat lost.am i the only victim of this conspiricy....please help....

richster

rockynsabrina said:
I live in effingham sc,and would love to monitor the highway patrol.when i program the talk freq. i hear 99% of all activity,evan as far away as 60 miles.im useing a discone ant mounted 30 feet in the air and switching back and forth to a rs 800mhz duckie.for some reason it will not come through as a trunk sys all the time.its hit and miss.hell,i only live 6 miles from effingham tower site.the scanner is a uniden bc898t.this is the only one i have this trouble with.county and city are coming through loud and clear.29200 is the area tg.im just flat lost.am i the only victim of this conspiricy....please help....

Hi rockynsabrina,

The conversations you are hearing in convential mode but not in trunking mode are I-Calls on the system. Unfortunately the 898t is unable to follow I-Call traffic. :(

Regards,
Richster.

richster

I may have misunderstood your initial post. Is your 898T deaf of the Effingham tower when you use either of the two antennae? Or does this just happen when you use the duck?

If it happens with the duck, it may very well be broken inside the rubber.

Regards,
Richster.

rockynsabrina

it works on the effingham tower,just not all the time.both county and city are broadcast from the same site location.county and city come in perfect on trunk.sometimes the highway patrol comes in on trunk,other times i gotta monitor it on conventional mode.the cc are different for county,than the hp.and i am certain i have all the cc in correctly.hell theres only one for hp site.unless youll have a list that may differ from rr.thanks for you guys tring to help,im all ears

richster

rockynsabrina said:
how do u know one from the other.it is supposed to be a mot 2 smartnet

Hehe just ignore my I-call comment. I thought you were recieving comms that you can hear in conventional mode, and couldn't hear it when actually tracking the system.

I-calls or private calls are another way for users on the Mot2 Smartnet system to talk privately among one another apart from talkgroups. The 898t cannont track I-calls :(

Regards,
Richster.

richster

rockynsabrina said:
it works on the effingham tower,just not all the time.both county and city are broadcast from the same site location.county and city come in perfect on trunk.sometimes the highway patrol comes in on trunk,other times i gotta monitor it on conventional mode.the cc are different for county,than the hp.and i am certain i have all the cc in correctly.hell theres only one for hp site.unless youll have a list that may differ from rr.thanks for you guys tring to help,im all ears

When you listen to the CC for the Effingham site, do you hear it nice and strong?

If it is strong, and you hear conversations on TG's that seem to dissapear then reappear a minute later, you may have the system programmed in wrong.

If it seems weak, check co-ax and antennae.

With your last post I am starting to wonder about the I-call theory. Do you notice at times the SCHP going to another place to talk, but you never seem to hear them on a talkgroup anywhere? But then you scan the system conventionally and there they are talking? If this is what you are experiencing, then the SCHP are communicating VIA I-call.

Regards,
Richster.

LarrySC

SHORT ANSWER: You must put the older Uniden scanners in the trunking mode BEFORE you PGM in the freqs. If you turn it on and PGM freqs then PGM TGID's then it want work. Good Luck

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Sounds to me like it's trunk-tracking some of the time, but not all of the time, on either the county system or on Palmetto 800.

Have you programmed both systems into the same scan bank? If so, I think Uniden scanners scan whichever control channel they find first in a bank, ignoring the other. Try programming the systems in different scan banks, and see if that helps.

If you're hearing trunked communications in conventional mode, then it sounds like you've programmed voice frequencies also. That's not necessary for control-channel-only capable scanners, which I believe the 898T is. You might try changing that as well.

Brian

rockynsabrina

thanks for all your comments and ideas,Brian had the solution to my problem.i had to scarrer my cc out through the banks.thanks a milliuon

Status
Not open for further replies.