Receiver claims to decode basic NXDN/DMR privacy security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
ADCR25_PRO2. APCO25/ DMR/NXDN(IDAS/NEXEDGE)/YAESU FUSION RECEIVER. Unit price $179.95. Free shipping WORLDWIDE! - 6

Noticed this stand alone receiver board which claims to decode basic privacy (encryption) on DMR and NXDN/iDas. Wonder how many will attempt to purchase and have it shipped into the USA. Guess this moot the point on it can't be done but anyone out there overseas use this? I have no use for something like this but makes me wonder how many will try it. And yes i am aware it is a serious crime in Canada, US, MX to decode secured comms weak or not. Very surprises soneone would openly create it.

Chronic

I didn't see anywhere that it received encrypted comms . receiving DMR, NXDN, Fusion or P25 is not illegal . Decoding Digital comms is very different than decoding encryption .

SCPD

QRT
I didn't see anywhere that it received encrypted comms . receiving DMR, NXDN, Fusion or P25 is not illegal . Decoding Digital comms is very different than decoding encryption .

DMR MOTO BASIC PRIVACY AUTO DECRYPTION WITH KEY VALUE DETECTION!

NXDN (IDAS/NEXEDGE) DESCRAMBLER! -From the site

diskmonger

Basic privacy in MOTO TRBO is like guessing a PL tone on an analog frequency, the weak encryption algorithm is a joke.

This is old news, the ADCR25 board has been able to do this for awhile now.

SCPD

QRT
While formats as ADP and others have been exposed in weaknesses it surprises me someone is selling a device capable of actually decoding privacy openly as it falls under many countries laws in which it is illegal. While I read and was aware in various articles of research studies in past done software and higher end computers were reported capable I did not know someone made a actual basic receiver board that will do it with little effort to the user. This makes one wonder how secure other formats are (not digital but privacy) really has become and if receivers such as above can be made what else have they made. This piece of hardware will open eyes and sales pitches in the mission critical gear world.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
NXDN basic privacy is NOT encryption, it is basic privacy that alters only a few bits in the data stream. It is analogous to having a different PL tone.

NXDN has encryption options. And they are encryption, called encryption, and not called basic privacy.

Sorry, not even a very strong personal computer today has the power to decrypt even "weak" 40 bit ADP type encryption quickly enough to be useful. It'd still take hours to find a single unknown key using today's latest and greatest hardware in a high end PC. Which would be useful if your targets never rolled their keys.

Now if you had a large Beowulf cluster to work with, you might be able to break 40 bit enc in a matter of a minute or less. It'd still demand that all the individual computers be built to a high specification and thus have a high cost associated with them.

And after all that, you'd know what the janitor at your local hospital was doing. Big deal.

mrscanner2008

Premium Subscriber
I have these board and if you don't already have the encryption keys, you can't decrypt.

the board only permit to enter encryption keys to listens, if you don't have key, this board will not find it.

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
Like Elroy said. Basic Privacy is just that, basic. It's just a simple XOR against certain data. No real encryption is done. There are only 255 different combinations so it won't take long for someone to try one until it works.

RayAir

Ex of a simple xor of text data:

0a 00 54 00 68 00 61 00 6e 00 6b

5468616e6b converted to ASCII = Thank

Now, take the plaintext and perform xor to give ciphertext:

Pt- 54 68 61 6e 6b
XOR fc fc fc fc fc
Ct- a8 94 9d 92 97

It's an easy and insecure way to obscure information.

Anyway, Motorola specifically states in their system planner that BP can easily be defeated and is only intended to stop casual listening. Just a modern day version of fixed frequency inversion, so I don't think anyone would be worried over this ADCR receiver.

Attachments

• IMG_20160727_232956.jpg
    IMG_20160727_232956.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,552

slicerwizard

While formats as ADP and others have been exposed in weaknesses it surprises me someone is selling a device capable of actually decoding privacy openly
Motorola does it. Their radios decode the various privacy schemes.

NXDN basic privacy is NOT encryption, it is basic privacy that alters only a few bits in the data stream. It is analogous to having a different PL tone.
Not true. NXDN scrambling uses a keystream that affects all voice payload bits. No idea where you get your information.

Sorry, not even a very strong personal computer today has the power to decrypt even "weak" 40 bit ADP type encryption quickly enough to be useful. It'd still take hours to find a single unknown key using today's latest and greatest hardware in a high end PC. Which would be useful if your targets never rolled their keys.
(*)

Now if you had a large Beowulf cluster to work with, you might be able to break 40 bit enc in a matter of a minute or less. It'd still demand that all the individual computers be built to a high specification and thus have a high cost associated with them.
(*)

And after all that, you'd know what the janitor at your local hospital was doing. Big deal.
Yep, no PDs around here using ADP or NXDN scrambling. None in the U.S. either. Right?

(*) You obviously have an agenda - you're claiming ADP isn't that easy/quick to crack or worth the trouble. Your statements are all misleading - sounds like you're listening to some weak encryption these days and don't want to lose access. Carry on...

I have these board and if you don't already have the encryption keys, you can't decrypt.

the board only permit to enter encryption keys to listens, if you don't have key, this board will not find it.
Apparently not any longer.

"DMR MOTO BASIC PRIVACY AUTO DECRYPTION WITH KEY VALUE DETECTION!"

Status
Not open for further replies.