Receiving Detroit Police system From Windsor?

MusicLegend519

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone had any luck receiving the Detroit Police trunked system from Windsor? I programmed it into my scanner and can sometimes pick up transmissions, but it can't seem to get a good connection to the control channel.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It was explained to me by the radio technicians that the antenna systems surrounding Detroit, MI are all pointed inward toward the center of the city.

What scanner? What are you using for an antenna and approximately how far are you as-the-crow-flies from the nearest tower? Have you tried a Yagi antenna?

a417

U+0000
It was explained to me by the radio technicians that the antenna systems surrounding Detroit, MI are all pointed inward toward the center of the city.
It's good to remember that the RF doesn't respect the city borders.

The ones on the far side of the city from the OP will be pointed directly at him (or in his general direction).

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
What are you trying to receive it with? The simulcast distortion can be a real cow depending on what you are using. I've never had issues listening in/around the Windsor area using my SDS, G5 etc however older scanners will struggle.

mrweather

Years ago when they were on 453 MHz, they had towers on Belle Isle. Are they still there?