Receiving issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeppelin11

Hello all, I have some questions I need answered from someone that knows what could be going on with my situation. I'll start off with my scanner model and what I'm monitoring. Uniden BCD436HP connected to a telescoping Dipole Antenna that was supplied to me when I purchased the RTL-SDR Blog V3 off Amazon. I have that mounted indoors vertically on my wall next to my window. (It works) i haven't had the funds to redo my big antenna outside so I'm settling with this setup for now. Monotoring NXDN conventional Digital police, EMS, Fire. The closest tower i monitor is a hair over 7 miles away straight shot so i get full bars on transmissions from this tower. The towers put out a pulsating signal every 4-5 seconds and the pulse lasts just a hair over 1 second. We had a bad storm come in on Friday (my scanner was not connected to a wall outlet i have it running on batteries) and now all of a sudden I'm getting no signal from that closest tower and you can't even hear the pulsing buzz anymore as if the tower just disappeared. I do have all the other frequencies plugged in from surrounding towers so i started scanning them searching for a working tower/frequency but am getting poor signal/transmissions from them as well. It will pick up on a transmission from another tower and I'll hear dispatch for several seconds but then it will just drop the transmission or all i will hear is static as its transmitting and sometimes I'll be able to hear the full transmission between sender and receiver. It has a mind of its own. Everything was and has been working great before this storm came in. I've also tried my portable diamond srh77ca antenna but since I'm already getting a weak signal the portable just makes it worse. I'm also having the same problem from another tower i pick up on when i go into town using the portable antenna. (I live in a rural area) so my opinion is i believe this storm damaged their towers or system whichever it may be. But if that's the case then how are they able to use the towers/ system if it's indeed damaged? Does anyone have any insight on this i would greatly appreciate it. Also I'm having no problems receiving other systems that i monitor just this 1 particular system. I will also drop the FCC link to the frequencies/tower. Tower # is 2. I have also checked the FCC page for any modifications etc. And theres nothing at least nothing recent. I've been having this problem for 2 days now and am hoping I'm just waiting on them to repair for everything to go back to normal if that's the case. Thank you very much for taking the time to read and respond!

tvengr

Well Known Member
It is quite possible that the storm took out the site. Before doing anything else, I suggest that you click on Report and request that your thread be moved to the Florida forum. There will be members in your area who can advise you if they are having similar problems.

radioman2008

Batlabs user Wazzzzzzzzup (2001-Present)
Premium Subscriber
I recently had one of my BCD436HPs loose signal reception in the UHF section, while it still received the VHF signals fine like normal. I tested different antennas and connectors, the reception problem followed the scanner. the UHF signals were very weak when they should have been full scale.

I posted a question and some users responded, one said its possible the UHF filters are damaged if the scanner was scanning UHF while there was a strong UHF signal near the antenna. IM not sure but it is possible I was talking on one of my UHF ham radios, while the scanner was on UHF and the antennas on my tower or car would have been pretty close together.

Sent it in for repair and will be aware of the antenna proximity thing for the future in case that is what caused the problem.

zeppelin11

That is a good thought. My normal police frequency is 151.085. the next county over uses 151.445 for EMS. I'm able to pick up on the next county EMS frequency while receiving full bars but having the issues described above with my police, Fire and EMS frequencies, which my tower is closer to me then the next county over. Would hearing the next county over in the same frequency band rule out that a filter would be damaged?

Status
Not open for further replies.