receiving skip...

Status
Not open for further replies.

muhockey86

How great must the conditions be to receive the skip....i havnt been able to find any yet using my pro 2051 with the scanner LP antenna. Im prolly not in the best area for radio communications (about 17 miles south of st. louis), as we have many hills, but is it possible to receive this skip where im at?

mancow

Database Admin
You should be able to hear all kinds of stuff there. You haven't said what type of antenna you are using but I would assume it must not be much. I was catching lowband skip on a pro97 handheld with just an 18" whip antenna today.

muhockey86

Im using the Scanner LP from dpdproductions...its tuned for 118-174 with 8.3 db of gain but it receives everything else as good as or better the stock antenna

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Basically it depends on the radio god, have you worhipped and given tribute lately? Put your receiver on the floor, bow down facing Mecca and kiss it three times. If that doesn't help sacrificing your first born son is a sure fire hit.

Do you know what I'm saying? Basically it's out of your hands being a thing of nature. When a band is open you can receive signals on a crystal set and a wet noodle, when it's not it's not and that's that. Your local surroundings have nothing to do with it, sky waves are just that, they come down from the sky.

If all else fails try moving into a black hole, if it doesn't suck in signals I don't know what else to tell you. (;->)

pocho

I haven't heard any skip here in SoCal with the stock antenna. I have an Airband and 800 Mhz antenna but I think the stock picks up low band better than the two. I guess I won't expect to hear much skip with just the stock!

VintageJon

Sporadic E is good here with a 1/4 wave ground plane hung from the ceiling on 866MHz
MOT TRS. Less succesful with 800MHz ducky...

Look in bands/channels you don't normally monitor. I never heard it til I accedently listened to a channel on the PRO96 that had a lot of San Antonio in it.

Try programming in services from areas there is likely to be weather fronts moving in from. Will experiment with Houston here soon.

73's
Jon

car2back

kb2vxa said:
...When a band is open you can receive signals on a crystal set and a wet noodle...
A wet noodle, is that what that thing is on top of the roof here? :lol: I wonder sometimes!

We've been doing alot of 10-9ing here lately here in Sapulpa, Oklahoma. We have been getting bad (in my opinion) skip from Denison, Texas PD and some LE/EMS agency in southern Missouri on 155.7. I wish there was something we could do to STOP recieving it. We use a PL tone, but still when someone keys up while the interference is coming in, we hear this neato "wah-wah-wah" sound on the console.

VintageJon

Very little to diddly-squat outta Houston, but S.A. in in here nearly every morning.
Weird... suspect temperature inversion is responsible...

Then again, I suspect everything and I suspect nothing.

73's,
Jon

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You can increase your chances somewhat by using Bill Hepburn's excellent site - the URL is in message 3 of the sticky thread at the top of the forum. There's also some discussion about the various mechanics involved in tropo - well worth the read. 73s Mike

10-95

Great times for band openings during the summer are early in the morning in the hours after the sun rises and the tempreature starts to climb. In the evening as the sun is setting and the tempreature begins to drop is another great time. Sometime the openings can last well into the early morning hours. We'v had some great mid day opening here in N.C. . I've been hearing broadcast stations out of Texas on a regular basis in the mid afternoon. A few weeks ago me and another local actually received some Ontario area FM's coming in an out.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.