Receiving strength of mobile vs. handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

resqpig

I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on the receiving strength of the PSR-500 over the PSR-600. As the area I live in will be going digital in some areas soon, I will have to make a decision of mobile vs. handheld. My experience with the recent Uniden scanners has found a significant increase with reception by the mobiles. My handheld performs poorly with the stock antenna and/or an external antenna. I would like to get a the PSR-500 due to portability, but I don't want to sacrifice reception. I would be using an external antenna in my vehicles with the PSR-500.

Last edited:

RKG

The "receiving strength" of a receiver is properly called its "sensitivity." I believe the PSR-500 and -600 have the same sensitivity, since they have basically the same electronics.

Of far greater impact on what you can actually hear is your antenna/feedline installation, as this provides the signal to your receiver. In general, an external antenna, particularly one that is tuned to a particular band, feed with low loss coax, will provide a greater signal strength to the antenna terminals of a receiver than a simple portable or "back of the box" antenna.

Jakemcgraw

In alot of my experiences, I had to give a slight edge to the base/mobile over the handheld of the same, meaning when I owned my pro-97 and pro-2055, which are basically the same internals,,Ive always noted less intermod and clearer transmissions with the base and even if using the same antennas on both. I have noticed this on several base and handheld combinations i had over the years . Ive heard some say already maybe the steel chasis of the base helps with intermod and such,, of coarse areas and conditions differ widely.

Last edited:

fireant

Seen it both however was programming a friends Pro 2055 this week and had my Pro 97 on my 97 seemed to be more sensitive but I think it depends unit to unit. I have 2 Pro 95's as well my first one is not quite as sensitive as my second one. I think its a case to case however the PSR 500/600 is a great scanner.

Maybe someone who has both units can test the sensitivity for us to help you out. Any share with us the results.

fireant

zz0468

QRT
Banned
A portable radio operated on a persons hip, ie mounted with a belt clip, is going to have about a 13-20 db disadvantage over a mobile receiver using a roof mounted antenna. That's assuming portable and mobile performance are otherwise about the same.

GTO_04

I own both the 396 and the PSR-500, and the PSR-500 is significantly more sensitive on 800 MHz. It is at least as good or better than my Uniden 796 base station.

GTO_04

resqpig

I appreciate the pointers that everyone has given thus far. I guess I didn't make it clear before, I used to run my 396 on an external antenna and there was an extremely noticeable difference compared to the PRO-2055 I have on the same external antenna now. This was most notable on 800, but still noticeable on all bands. Both were being run on a MON 752. The 2051 now has impressive sensitivity and I anticipate the PSR 500 or 600 will be even better.

Fireant, I agree it would be nice to hear from someone that has both the 500 and 600.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.