Receiving WWV Was: My radio shack time cube

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArloG

Did anyone mention CHU on 3.33, 7.335 and 14.67 MHz?
That's a good watch setter.

nohamhere

OK ... I found my way back. I'm down to simple. I think analog would be simpler than what I've tried ... I just need a radio that covers the WWV frequencies, and I need you to tell me what to buy. The 2 radios I bought are returned (love amazon) and I am ready for your recommendations.

I tried to clean up a kicked back e-mail

2 welcome backs, that's nice
Thanks. majoco, you went way above and beyond with your explanation=
I almost want to unpack it and try .... but I drew the same conclus=
ion as you, it is way too complicated for casual use and will be returned t=
omorrow.
Let's just try to get me receiving WWV.
the simplest to me still seems <b>analog</b>, providing it has the proper ran=
ge on the bands. I remember my Radio Shack time cube had like 3 frequ=
encies you could switch between.That's a thing of the past, but I ha=
ve to believe there is a simple radio out there that can fill the need.
It's just up to you guys to tell me what is

Last edited:

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
OK ... I found my way back. I'm down to simple. I think analog would be simpler than what I've tried ... I just need a radio that covers the WWV frequencies, and I need you to tell me what to buy. The 2 radios I bought are returned (love amazon) and I am ready for your recommendations.

I tried to clean up a kicked back e-mail

2 welcome backs, that's nice
Thanks. majoco, you went way above and beyond with your explanation=
I almost want to unpack it and try .... but I drew the same conclus=
ion as you, it is way too complicated for casual use and will be returned t=
omorrow.
Let's just try to get me receiving WWV.
the simplest to me still seems <b>analog</b>, providing it has the proper ran=
ge on the bands. I remember my Radio Shack time cube had like 3 frequ=
encies you could switch between.That's a thing of the past, but I ha=
ve to believe there is a simple radio out there that can fill the need.
It's just up to you guys to tell me what is

Take a look at the TECSUN R-9012 AM/FM/SW 12 Bands Shortwave Radio Portable Receiver. It is a simple analog dial radio and covers SW from 3.90-21.85 MHz. This will receive WWV on 5, 10, 15 and 20 MHz.

GB46

CHU switched from 7.335 to 7.85 quite some time ago. I can pick it up on that frequency in the early evening here. Sometimes I can hear it on 14.67 in the daytime, but not very often. In any case, stations to the east of me don't come in as well as those to the south or west. WWV is much easier.

majoco

Stirrer
The 2 radios I bought are returned (love amazon) and I am ready for your recommendations.

That's a pity, 'cos now at 1930 local/0630UTC I can get WWVH Hawaii on all three frequencies on the PL-360 on the whip antenna inside a north facing window in the rain!

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Take a look at the TECSUN R-9012 AM/FM/SW 12 Bands Shortwave Radio Portable Receiver. It is a simple analog dial radio and covers SW from 3.90-21.85 MHz. This will receive WWV on 5, 10, 15 and 20 MHz.

51oJzhLwGRL._AC_.jpg

51kMYVaRt0L._AC_.jpg

majoco

Stirrer
On the contrary - 5MHz and 15MHz or marked on the dial and at a scratch you might get 10MHz at the top of the 31m band. But having wasted about three hours of my time yesterday I'm going QRT.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
So ....... suggestions please. Analog, cigar box size or smaller. No giant external antenna and $25-100.

I've got a CCrane Skywave SSB which is fantastic. Does AM, FM, Weather+Alert, Shortwave 2.3-26.1 MHz (including SSB) and Air Band, comes with a fitted case and it's quite small... WAY smaller than a cigar box; fits in my suitcase quite nicely when I'm traveling. However, at $169 it's outside your price range, so you might take a look at the previous version, the Skywave. It does all the same stuff with the exception of SSB, and is only $89.

And a review of the Skywave from SWLing (Thomas always has very thorough reviews and gives a favorable review to the Skywave):

I've never been unhappy with my Skywave SSB, and everyone I talk to who has a CCrane radio just loves it. But speaking of bugs biting, I'm taking a good hard look at the Tecsun PL-360 mentioned by @mmckenna. Looks like it would be just the thing for my bug-out bag (the Skywave SSB is a tad too big to fit neatly in the bug-out bag, although I've made it fit).

Last edited:

nohamhere

I assume QRT means majoco is done. I'm not sure if he refers to the H TECSUN R-9012 or the PL-360. I followed instructions he gave for the 360 and actually heard wwv on all 3 frequencies. I could not get the memory function to work.

and had to keep re-tuning. Maybe New Zealand is different than SE USA.
There was once a simple Radio Shack time cube for people just like me. Now with technology passing us by I am going to go sit in the corner and mumble to myself. :(

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
I assume QRT means majoco is done. I'm not sure if he refers to the H TECSUN R-9012 or the PL-360. I followed instructions he gave for the 360 and actually heard wwv on all 3 frequencies. I could not get the memory function to work. and had to keep re-tuning. Maybe New Zealand is different than SE USA.
There was once a simple Radio Shack time cube for people just like me. Now with technology passing us by I am going to go sit in the corner and mumble to myself. :(
If you just like to listen to WWV, try using someone else's radio on the web. Note that because of audio buffering, the audio is delayed by several seconds.

GB46

I assume QRT means majoco is done. I'm not sure if he refers to the H TECSUN R-9012 or the PL-360. I followed instructions he gave for the 360 and actually heard wwv on all 3 frequencies. I could not get the memory function to work.

and had to keep re-tuning. Maybe New Zealand is different than SE USA.
QRT is ham lingo for going off the air.

Hey, you can't be that far gone if you managed to tune WWV in on one of those new-fangled radios! I'm a senior as well, and despite having frequently complained about today's technology I've come to accept some of it, otherwise I'd be left with nothing. As they say, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." As for mumbling to yourself, I hope you don't start getting replies. :D

---

You know you're getting old when you start reminiscing, "Ah yes, I remember that as if it were yesterday," and someone replies "That was yesterday."

nohamhere

QRT is ham lingo for going off the air.

Hey, you can't be that far gone if you managed to tune WWV in on one of those new-fangled radios! I'm a senior as well, and despite having frequently complained about today's technology I've come to accept some of it, otherwise I'd be left with nothing. As they say, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." As for mumbling to yourself, I hope you don't start getting replies. :D

---

You know you're getting old when you start reminiscing, "Ah yes, I remember that as if it were yesterday," and someone replies "That was yesterday."

Well said sir. You have a great outlook.

nohamhere

If you just like to listen to WWV, try using someone else's radio on the web. Note that because of audio buffering, the audio is delayed by several seconds.

This is the best idea yet for me. The link works and I can wander around. How do I make it "my own"? Believe it or not I know what an APP is, heck, I even have a smart phone, but I'm not sure how to create a link for the computer. Is there a sight I need to visit to join?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
This is the best idea yet for me. The link works and I can wander around. How do I make it "my own"? Believe it or not I know what an APP is, heck, I even have a smart phone, but I'm not sure how to create a link for the computer. Is there a sight I need to visit to join?

Remember that the time you get from that site is up to 3 seconds behind due to network latency issues (it's about 1.6 seconds behind here at my location); if you're using it as a time hack for casual listening you should be OK, but if you're trying to set a clock as precisely as possible you should go with direct reception.

Status
Not open for further replies.