Recent constant static for Macomb County?

Status
Not open for further replies.

michelekaye13

I'm new here & new to scanners in general so please bear with me. I was listening almost nonstop for 4 days to Macomb County then it went to nonstop static. (every now & then u get a sentence or two) Does anyone have any info? Just fyi currently listening on iphone - app creator uses this site. Looking to buy scanner that will pick up mostly my area, whole state is way more area than i want.. but will save that quest for another day. many thanks. (p.s: almost all mi areas have had issues in the past few days. ie det police never had silence until recently)

freqs

First what radio do you have .then we can help you more .Macomb Co is on a state wide radio system .
I cant pick up the Macomb 219 tower to well in the south end it tends to be choppy give us a little more info and someone can help and welcome to the forum

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
He's talking about the streaming feeds.

If you are having problems with it, click the "report problem" button.

mel5051

I've got the grecom 600 digital, and I want to pick up the Detroit PD and Oakland County Sheriff once they switch over to the new frequencies:
"The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Home Page issued an order in July, 2004) requiring all Public Safety radios (NPSPAC) operating in the 821-824 and 866-869 MHz frequencies to change their operating frequency to a newly created Public Safety Band at 806-809 and 851-854 MHz"

Am I going to be out of luck?

sorry if I hijacked the thread, I'm rather new and I guess I stepped on toes. I'll sit back and read posts and try to glean what I can that way...

Last edited:

KB8QDM

Premium Subscriber
I've got the grecom 600 digital, and I want to pick up the Detroit PD and Oakland County Sheriff once they switch over to the new frequencies:
"The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Home Page issued an order in July, 2004) requiring all Public Safety radios (NPSPAC) operating in the 821-824 and 866-869 MHz frequencies to change their operating frequency to a newly created Public Safety Band at 806-809 and 851-854 MHz"

Am I going to be out of luck?

sorry if I hijacked the thread, I'm rather new and I guess I stepped on toes. I'll sit back and read posts and try to glean what I can that way...

With a couple of caveats, you should be ok.

1. The new Oakland County CLEMIS public safety radio system uses Ma/Com Open Sky digital coding. There is no scanner or receiver on the consumer market that can decode Open Sky radio transmissions. The likelihood of there being one eventually is somewhere between slim and none. The big selling point of Open Sky is that it can't be monitored, and Harris-Ma/Com is not going to make that protocol open in the same sense that P-25 is. Again, the impossibility to monitor Oakland's CLEMIS system has nothing to do with the frequencies it uses, and everything to do with the encoding protocol that is used. In that sense, you-and everyone else-is unfortunately out of luck.

2. I see your location is Wixom. Is that where you plan to monitor Detroit from? Reason being is that Detroit's towers are very directional so that the signal points back into the city, and I don't think the Detroit system uses the Northville tower. From Wixom, about the only way to get Detroit tower 701 is to put up an outside beam antenna pointed towards the southeast (towards Detroit), and you might be able to receive them. Just maybe. This is what I've read here, I don't own a digital scanner so I've never had reason to try it myself.

That's not to say your scanner is useless. There is still plenty to be heard on the state MPSCS in your area. All of the western Wayne county agencies (Northville, Northville Twp, Plymouth, Canton, etc) use it. Livingston county uses it, and Washtenaw county will be using it soon. With an antenna tuned specifically to 800 MHz, or even a rudimentary outside antenna, you should be able to monitor all of these areas from Wixom. For that matter, I understand that some of the cities in southwest Oakland county are considering it (as opposed to the county system), like Novi and Lyon township.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.