Recent satcom logs

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon

Database Admin
251.850 Beast 59 calling Darkhorse Operations.

257.050 Base Ops calling Ice 01 for radio checks. Also heard with Mac Center. Operation Deep Freeze WinFly: McChord Airmen back in action supporting Operation Deep Freeze

260.675 Wolfpack and Roundup w/ radio checks.

261.725 Sunking 602 and Sunking 603. I log them from time to time on various freqs.

262.125 Barksdale Radio Maintenance - Aircraft 0038 and Aircraft 0051 w/ radio check.

265.250 USS Vandegrift: Been hearing them off and on the past few weeks. Yesterday afternoon/evening they were attempting contact with US Coast Guard D11. A few weeks ago I logged another station (sounded like Pellow Ops) calling JIATF South. Not really sure of the call though.

mancow

Database Admin
I don't see a transponder at 257.050 from Kansas. The closest thing is 257.075.

There is no 260.675, 261.725 or 265.250 either.

I wonder if my antenna is too directional? It's pointed about 40 up and at about a 180 heading. The house is in the way if I try to go East more. I guess I should try moving it somewhere else.

brandon

Database Admin
257.050, 260.675, 261.725 were all from the Pacific.
I think the Atlantic uses the same set of freqs, but Kansas is probably out of range for the Atlantic as well.

265.250 is CONUS though.

Re: 260.675 heard again and the operator slipped and mentioned he was calling " ?? US Korea" --- so maybe that's who Roundup is?

db_gain

Hey what are you guys using for antennas, and what azimuths are you employing for sats?

rbm

Hey what are you guys using for antennas, and what azimuths are you employing for sats?

I'm closer to the East coast.
I use an X-Wing antenna.

Here's a sample of some pirate activity today.

I've run as many as six USB dongles to cover more than 12 MHz of the band at the same time. (Closer to 14 MHz)

This video is just using two dongles and two instances of SDR#.
You can view it in 720p or 1080p to see some of the settings.
The audio is from the bottom instance.

Rich

MilSat Pirates Using two R820T USB Dongles and an X-Wing antenna.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzQWGPzs1r8

db_gain

Wondering what cpu and memory total and os you use for that, and what cpu load is placed by multiple rtls running?

I'll have to look into home rolling one of those turnstyle antennas, for now I've one of these;
AS1405
Wonder how it will perform for sats?

For now a scanner that covers the mil air band is all I'm looking at using, but the rtls sure have a lot of capabilities.

mancow

Database Admin
Logged MAKO-98 calling JIATF South on 265.250 yesterday afternoon.

MAKO-98 is a possible F-16 out of Homestead AFB.

Due to your location your reception should be some what similar to mine. What's your method of madness? Do you just pick one frequency and sit on it? I'm at the point that I'm finding it pretty much impossible to scan or search. All I hear are morons blathering in Portuguese. It keeps everything locked up 24/7.

mancow

Database Admin
Wondering what cpu and memory total and os you use for that, and what cpu load is placed by multiple rtls running?

I'll have to look into home rolling one of those turnstyle antennas, for now I've one of these;
AS1405

For now a scanner that covers the mil air band is all I'm looking at using, but the rtls sure have a lot of capabilities.

Check into the HackRf. It has a 20 Mhz window. I can see pretty much the entire range in one view 250-270.

rbm

AS1405

That computer is running an older 'AMD Phenom II X6 1090T' with 8GB of memory and 13TB of hard drives inside. (Many more Terabytes on HDD/USB 3.0 docking stations)

It's running Windows 7, 64bit OS.

I built that one a few years ago and I'm starting to accumulate components to build something with a little more 'horsepower'.

It's also running three online scanner feeds, three ScanREC Pro logging instances, and Blue Iris security camera software with seven cameras.

So it's hard to say exactly how much CPU is running just the SDRSharp instances.

The maximum CPU %, according to Process Explorer is somewhere around 60% and that's while several security cameras were recording at the same time.

Rich

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
This is what I'm using with about 70 ft of LMR400. The signals are extremely strong but there are just too many pirates.

8a9c9a9d39364bc876cc1b4cdbc5.jpg

db_gain

Thanks for the info on the pc, I was expecting it to be multicore and so on.
Speaking of pirates, didn't USN and the Brasilian gov get togther and go after some of them a while back? Sounds like no one learned a lesson.

rbm

Right now I use a Trivec AV-2055 and AV-2095.
Here are some pictures of my setup.

Brandon, that's an interesting web page name.

I worked on the very first military satellite RF package. (LOTS of years ago)

It was called the 'Tactical Satellite Communication Network'

And it was referred to as TacSatCom by the people who worked on it. ;)

Rich

By the way, when the first system was launched, the military brass came to our location to see a demo.

When they saw the capability of it, they almost pee'd their pants. ;)

autovon

Ø
251.850 Beast 59 calling Darkhorse Operations.

257.050 Base Ops calling Ice 01 for radio checks. Also heard with Mac Center. Operation Deep Freeze WinFly: McChord Airmen back in action supporting Operation Deep Freeze

260.675 Wolfpack and Roundup w/ radio checks.

261.725 Sunking 602 and Sunking 603. I log them from time to time on various freqs.

262.125 Barksdale Radio Maintenance - Aircraft 0038 and Aircraft 0051 w/ radio check.

265.250 USS Vandegrift: Been hearing them off and on the past few weeks. Yesterday afternoon/evening they were attempting contact with US Coast Guard D11. A few weeks ago I logged another station (sounded like Pellow Ops) calling JIATF South. Not really sure of the call though.

I hadn't been to your site before. Pretty neat! Thanks for posting the satcom clips.

prcguy

Howdy Rich,
What was the name of the first UHF satellite and what year was it launched or operational?
prcguy

Brandon, that's an interesting web page name.

I worked on the very first military satellite RF package. (LOTS of years ago)

It was called the 'Tactical Satellite Communication Network'

And it was referred to as TacSatCom by the people who worked on it. ;)

Rich

By the way, when the first system was launched, the military brass came to our location to see a demo.

When they saw the capability of it, they almost pee'd their pants. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.