• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Recently picked up Baofeng dm-5r radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

teufler

I know they are Tier 1, thats not the question. I have noticed a distinctive voice lag, when talking radio to radio in digital. Analog, voice comes in instantly but digital, maybe 1/2 sec or longer lag from radio to radio,.Don't know if this is normal or I have a setting wrong. Encryption settings are good, Changed just 1 code, 123456789A to 123456789B and the radios would not talk to each other. I have other DMR radios so these are the new ones to explore and learn with The dual band is interesting .Have anyone else seen or heard this lag from radio to radio?

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
If you're talking about holding two radios, one in each hand, and talking between them, the delay is normal. Audio has to be processed on both units, analog to digital and then digital back to analog. All digital radios are like that.

kc0kp

I know they are Tier 1, thats not the question. I have noticed a distinctive voice lag, when talking radio to radio in digital. Analog, voice comes in instantly but digital, maybe 1/2 sec or longer lag from radio to radio,.Don't know if this is normal or I have a setting wrong. Encryption settings are good, Changed just 1 code, 123456789A to 123456789B and the radios would not talk to each other. I have other DMR radios so these are the new ones to explore and learn with The dual band is interesting .Have anyone else seen or heard this lag from radio to radio?
Normal for all digital modes:p25, Fusion, DStar, DMR. System latency is an important training issue for public safety people converting to digital. They expect everything real time and when they see a person talking in their own radio and the sound is delayed coming out of their radio, it looks like a poorly dubbed foreign film. It can be disconcerting when first encountered.
Craig

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Have anyone else seen or heard this lag from radio to radio?

All digital radios do this to some extent, due to buffering that occurs when converting analog to digital and back. The digital data is sent in discrete chunks, so the sending radio has to ingest enough audio to generate a complete chunk of data before it starts sending the data. Then the receiving radio has to receive the complete chunk of data before it can start decoding it and converting it back to analog audio.

The total lag time is the sum of the TX buffering and encoding time, the time it takes to TX a chunk of digital data, and the RX buffering and decoding time, as well as the digital signaling used to set up a call (which contains the TX radio ID, talkgroup ID, and possibly other data such as GPS coordinates, encryption flag, encryption key ID, system time, etc.) Lag is commonly about 1/2-second, but may vary depending on the exact digital format and the call setup data.

teufler

Thanks all for explaining. It was like a digital repeater that stores you audio then re-broadcasts. Just odd though if two units were far apart, you would not notice the lag. I guess that explains how when the county broadcasts on a talk group, sometimes they broadcast on analog too. Ham radio monitors the vhf and the scanner monitors the digital tg. The digital always sounds like an echo because it broadcasts slightly later than the vhf analog. Not much later but definately behind in audio.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
The lag really becomes noticeable on DMR when talking cross-country via the internet! In addition to the DA encode/decode 'lag' is added the network latency which can sometimes delay things for up to several seconds!

That is why it is critical that folks using DMR allow several seconds before attempting to reply. This allows enough of a gap for everyone in the network on the same talk group to finish hearing the previous transmission! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.