• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Recently set up Zello....

Status
Not open for further replies.

allisonr1495

Premium Subscriber
I have recently set up zello for use for our Volunteer Emergency response agency using 2 portable radios and a laptop to interface our repeater with the Zello app (and vice versa). I was just wondering if anybody knew of a base/mobile radio that provides for a Audio IN line? Such as in place of the ptt mic an adapter would take a audio cable and push that audio through the radio?
I know most radio have a speaker OUT but i'm looking for the opposite. Any ideas or products would be appreciated! Thank you.

toastycookies

I have recently set up zello for use for our Volunteer Emergency response agency using 2 portable radios and a laptop to interface our repeater with the Zello app (and vice versa). I was just wondering if anybody knew of a base/mobile radio that provides for a Audio IN line? Such as in place of the ptt mic an adapter would take a audio cable and push that audio through the radio?
I know most radio have a speaker OUT but i'm looking for the opposite. Any ideas or products would be appreciated! Thank you.

Pretty much any modern mobile radio should be able to do this.

allisonr1495

Premium Subscriber
That's what I figured, however trying to find the accesory or add on that does it seems to be an issue.

allisonr1495

Premium Subscriber
Hi Toasty, thanks for the reply and your help! I may have ms explained or I misunderstand the product. I am essential looking for a "MIC IN" line just like on a portable but on a mobile or a base so I don't have to continually change battery.

https://postimg.org/image/s8ceiwe0z/

On this crude example, The Green line from the receive portable (Audio out from radio) goes to the mic in on the Laptop, then the blue line goes from the Speaker/Audio Out from the laptop to the mic in on the Transmit Radio and then is VOX activated on transmit.

Need this same type set up but with a base or mobile radio. Thanks again for your time and any help.

majoco

Stirrer
Such as in place of the ptt mic an adapter would take a audio cable and push that audio through the radio?
I think you answered you own question. If you want it to lift the PTT when audio is present you'll have to design an interface though.

This might do the trick. It's a simple LM386 audio amp with a rectifier after it driving a couple of transistor into a small 6v relay. I used it to start a cassette tape recorder when an HF broadcast started in the middle of the night! You may need an attenuator from the line in to the mic socket as the level will be far to high.

Attachments

• LM386TA.jpg
    LM386TA.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 909

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
1 radio or 2 radios? You have this radio(s) already? if so what model.

I will second that kit suggested by toastycookies. (have a handful of them myself)

If you have the right radio with a 6 pin DIN jack on the back. you can wire that kit up easily and not need to use the mic or speaker jack. The DIN jack makes for quick work.

toastycookies

Hi Toasty, thanks for the reply and your help! I may have ms explained or I misunderstand the product. I am essential looking for a "MIC IN" line just like on a portable but on a mobile or a base so I don't have to continually change battery.

https://postimg.org/image/s8ceiwe0z/

On this crude example, The Green line from the receive portable (Audio out from radio) goes to the mic in on the Laptop, then the blue line goes from the Speaker/Audio Out from the laptop to the mic in on the Transmit Radio and then is VOX activated on transmit.

Need this same type set up but with a base or mobile radio. Thanks again for your time and any help.

I understand.

The device I linked does exactly this.

Here's one you can buy pre assembled with some extra cables and a huge markup.

"EASY DIGI" USB Sound Card Interface, NO MORE USB-RS232 ADAPTERS! W/CABLES | eBay

jim202

Be careful of where and how you connect the receiver audio up. Many radios use a balanced audio output on the speaker so you can't ground either wire going to the speaker. Many radios have a fixed audio output on the accessory connector that can be used, but it may have a DC bias voltage on it. The simple solution is to just couple this fixed audio through a capacitor to block the DC bias.

You don't want to really use the speaker output anyway as the level will change with the volume control. Using a fixed output on the receive audio, this problem won't happen. The level will stay the same no matter what you do with the volume control.

As others have pointed out, using a portable will be a constant issue with the battery. It would be best to use a mobile off of an AC supply.

I tend to use Motorola radios and all of them have a fixed audio output. They also have an external mic input and an external PTT line input. You just have to set this up in the radio software. You can also adjust the external input mic gain to get it at the level you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.