Reception in Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys, running a TRX-1 with Diamond RH77CA antenna. Love the scanner and it seems to work really well. My issue is that my reception totally drops off when my car is running. I can be listening to a broadcast, and when I start my car, it disappears. Then anything I do pick up has static and is hard to hear. Shut the car off and all of a sudden I’m picking up a lot more and it’s crystal clear.

Anyone else experience this? Just for reference I’m driving a 2015 VW Passat. Thanks guys.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
If the antenna is on the radio, try an outside mount. It sounds like the car computer/electronics respond to the key being inserted and cause the interference. By mounting it on the roof or trunk, the car body will act as a shield and should reduce the interference.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Put the scanner on top of the car and see if it makes a difference. If not, an external antenna would just be in the same spot. One thing to check is if you added a USB charger in the power port/cigarette plug. Those things can produce terrible RFI. If so, unplug it.

Status
Not open for further replies.