Reception is muted mid transmission randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
I've noticed a problem with my SDS200.

The radio will begin to receive fine, but at some random point in the transmission, the audio will just cut out. I still see the radio is receiving and I have -86 or so on the RSSI Scale. My other radios are all still receiving but the SDS200 Mutes. I have other radios on in the same area listening to the same frequency.

I've documented this on video comparing this with a BCD996P2. Before I publish the video I want to also document this is happening with the other filter settings.

Sometimes audio will come back in about a second, and sometimes it will stay muted for 5 or more seconds.

So far, I've seen the following makes no difference:
Upgrading the 'base' firmware to the current firmware (as of 2/22/19)
Changing the filter setting from Normal, Invert, Auto, or Off

I do not have priority set and I do not have Wx priority set. So the scanner is not trying to do anything other than receive this single frequency.

I'm monitoring the local fire department which transmits about 2 miles from here. I'm in the basement using the back of set antenna and not my external antenna, so I don't think this is an issue of overloading the receive on the scanner.

I'm monitoring a single analog channel using the direct entry mode, so this isn't a database problem.

Every once and a while I do see the LINK show up on the display, which tells me that the scanner things this analog signal is digital and it is probably trying to sync up, but this isn't a digital signal. However, I do not see LINK every time I have the problem.
My BCD996P2 keeps monitoring fine, so there is something going on with the SDS200.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? The radio randomly mutes mid transmission.
Are there log files I can pull and send over to @UPMan ?

imd

Do you have any "prorities" turned on?
BB

Did you read the post?

I have the same thing happening on my analog trunked system. Quite a bit of the time I'll see the LINK message come on when this happens, but as you mentioned, sometimes it happens and no LINK message. It's quite prevalent and annoying. My other radios sitting next to the SDS200 don't do this and I end up missing quite a bit of traffic and very annoying when mid sentence it drops.

mule1075

Feed Provider

The radio will begin to receive fine, but at some random point in the transmission, the audio will just cut out. I still see the radio is receiving and I have -86 or so on the RSSI Scale. My other radios are all still receiving but the SDS200 Mutes. I have other radios on in the same area listening to the same frequency.

I've documented this on video comparing this with a BCD996P2. Before I publish the video I want to also document this is happening with the other filter settings.

Sometimes audio will come back in about a second, and sometimes it will stay muted for 5 or more seconds.

I do not have priority set and I do not have Wx priority set. So the scanner is not trying to do anything other than receive this single frequency.

I'm monitoring the local fire department which transmits about 2 miles from here. I'm in the basement using the back of set antenna and not my external antenna, so I don't think this is an issue of overloading the receive on the scanner.

I'm monitoring a single analog channel using the direct entry mode, so this isn't a database problem.

Every once and a while I do see the LINK show up on the display, which tells me that the scanner things this analog signal is digital and it is probably trying to sync up, but this isn't a digital signal. However, I do not see LINK every time I have the problem.
My BCD996P2 keeps monitoring fine, so there is something going on with the SDS200.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? The radio randomly mutes mid transmission.
Had the trouble on analog before the filters were available. Switching the filter when they became available to normal rectified the issue for me.

Just noticed you are talking about the 200 not the 100 not sure if that makes a difference.

Pat

Premium Subscriber
Are there any high-powered transmitters near you in the same frequency range as the system you're monitoring? The radio may be getting desensitized when the nearby transmitter is on.

imd

Regardless of a high power transmitter near by, this is happening to the SDS200 and not happening to other radios sitting next to it. I would think the high power transmitter would affect both receivers, impairing the performance of both at the same time.

Shouldn't the performance of a $700 scanner be on par as a $300 scanner?

Last edited by a moderator:

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
There are no high power transmitters nearby. Plus I'm sitting with the radio in the basement with the 'stock' antenna not extended, so that should attenuate anything that is close by.

I forgot to add this is a UHF frequency, 453.4125

Here is a report from Antenna Search:
1550855538990.png

1550855645831.png

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
The Noise value will range from around 41 to 295 when I lose the signal.

Here is a screenshot where I lost audio on the SDS200. LINK shows up on the display here, but that isn't always the case.
As you can see, the scanner is still showing it is receiving a signal. It just doesn't know what to do with it.
FWIW, when the audio comes back on, you can hear a pop when the audio is activated. I'll follow up with a video if it helps once I document this issue with "normal" "invert" "auto" and "off" filter settings. (this happened with the initial f/w too, so I assume that would cover "off")

1550949231489.png

Bob1955

Phil, Here is ANOTHER perfect example of Uniden America's POOR quality control. I would NOT tolerate this for a day. I would be calling Scanner Master or who ever it was purchased from, the next phone call would be to my credit card company. Phli, I'm very hard on this issue. Let all of us know here or via Scanner School what you are going to do about this> As always, have a great night and Sunday.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Bob,
What I am going to do is give Uniden a chance.

I was an early adopter of the BCD436HP and BCD536HP, when there were clock issues. I appreciate that Uniden did the right thing and not only repaired the problem, but offered an extended warranty on those units for the trouble.

I'm also happy to see that Uniden quickly identified a fix for the hum issue on the SDS200. I'm even happier to see that this is a repair that I can do myself so I won't have to ship the scanner and be without it for a week or two. It's also nice that this won't void the warranty.

We live in a time where scanners are software driven. For now, I'm confident that when the Uniden tech team can identify a root cause to this problem, then a fix will be offered.

If it turns out that I have a unit with a hardware failure, I will certainly look for an exchange for a defective product.
At this time, I'm hopeful that this will be addressed in future firmware releases, and will even offer to run beta software for Uniden to see if any potential firmware candidates fix this issue on my radio.

Of course, I will be documenting the problem and any fix on my podcast, "Scanner School", my sds200review.com mailing list, and also my blog. My YouTube channel will have a video out today or tomorrow documenting this error. T

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I don’t know if it’s related, but a guy has posted a similar complaint about his SDS100 over in the General Scanning forum. If you watch his video you’ll see LINK appear on the screen right as the radio drops the audio:

https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/sds-100-custom-search-scanning-problem.384322/

He’s also stopped on an analog channel as you can see a CTCSS tone displayed. Could be a bug related to search modes? You mentioned Quick Search.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
That is parked. I've entered the frequency using the quick frequency entry mode.
I didn't load it from the database and the radio wasn't in the process of searching between the upper and lower limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.