WS1040: Reception isues

Status
Not open for further replies.

squad1b

My WS1040 recently started having trouble receiving sometimes it comes in clear other times not hardly at al.it did accidently drop about 2 weeks ago onto a carpeted floor any ideas?

squad1b

My 1040 recently feel off a bedside table onto a carpeted floor and now I am having receiving issues. Sometimes it will come in fine other times hardly at all or garbbled.I have replaced the antenna but that doesn't seem to Have helped any other ideas??

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Did the scanner fall on it's antenna? Did you open the battery cover to make sure the batteries were secured properly? BTW, you've posted the same question in a second thread which is generally frowned upon by the Mods.

tvengr

Well Known Member
My 1040 recently feel off a bedside table onto a carpeted floor and now I am having receiving issues.
That line of scanners has a history of the solder connection from the antenna connector to the circuit board breaking if strain is put on the antenna connector. You may have to remove the cover and check for a broken connection.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
That line of scanners has a history of the solder connection from the antenna connector to the circuit board breaking if strain is put on the antenna connector. You may have to remove the cover and check for a broken connection.

This would be my guess as to the cause of the problem as well. I've seen this many more times than I'd like with portable scanners of several models and makes.

Nasby

My scanner was not dropped or even moved from its location.

It just suddenly stopped receiving.

Whistler has repaired the unit and listed the repair as "replaced antenna module."

I wonder if its similar to the cold solder issue that the SDS 100 has? A Ticking time bomb.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
My scanner was not dropped or even moved from its location.

It just suddenly stopped receiving.

Whistler has repaired the unit and listed the repair as "replaced antenna module."

I wonder if its similar to the cold solder issue that the SDS 100 has? A Ticking time bomb.

That's the BNC antenna connector and any related hardware inside the radio as well as the connecting wire between the connector and the PCB.

Status
Not open for further replies.