Reception of 396 vs. 996

Status
Not open for further replies.

grodgers

Are the receivers in these units the same? I have a BCD-396T, and wondered if the receiver in the BCD-996T is of a higher sensitivity being that it is a mobile/base unit.

My home is in an area of very poor reception in NJ. For a number of reasons, I can't put up an external antenna at this time to try and improve it.

I have, however, erected a RS discone antenna in my attic, fed with 40' of LMR-400. Reception "slightly" improved.

It's frustrating to have a tower 3 miles away and not be able to get reliable reception. I'm sure the right answer is to put an antenna on the roof - but if changing radios will make any difference, I may try that.

Thanks!

LordJ

Changing shouldn't make a difference. If you are not receiving a tower 3 miles away, something may be wrong with your antenna/coax setup. Also, make sure that you do not have attenuation on, and if it is a trunked system, that it is programmed ok.

grodgers

I'm kind of in a hollow - with the rubber-duck, I pretty much get nothing, with the attic antenna, it's better, but reception is very poor. That's when I'm at my home.

When I take the scanner with me, all is well once I get out of my neighborhood. It's just a bad location. The 396T is programmed fine and works like a charm everywhere else but my home <ain't it the luck>.

I'll have to put the antenna on the roof but I can't even be guaranteed that'll fix the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.