Reception problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cubspack1

I have a radio shack pro 197 and I am having reception problem. It scans and not getting hardly anything and when it does you can't understand it. Also it stops on channels but there is nothing. I am listening to pottawattamie county in Iowa. I do live in the country but I shouldn't be having this much of an issue that I can't even use the radio. Also I'm not sure when the last time the firmware was updated. Any help would be wonderful. I am using the 800 Mgz Antanna also

GeneseeCoMI

I have a radio shack pro 197 and I am having reception problem. It scans and not getting hardly anything and when it does you can't understand it. Also it stops on channels but there is nothing. I am listening to pottawattamie county in Iowa. I do live in the country but I shouldn't be having this much of an issue that I can't even use the radio. Also I'm not sure when the last time the firmware was updated. Any help would be wonderful. I am using the 800 Mgz Antanna also
You probably need an outdoor antenna. I recommend the Diamond D130J. Make sure it's nice and high, above any obstructions such as buildings and trees.

Also make sure the radio's squelch is turned all the way down (counterclockwise) and the attenuation is off. Then try the settings on this page to optimize it.

I'm guessing you're talking about listening to the Omaha Regional Interoperability Network (ORION). Do you have it programmed as a P25 trunked system? If not, make sure to do so. You only have to put in the control channels (red and blue frequencies) of the tower that is nearest to your location. For better answers about receiving it specifically though, try the Iowa forum.

Last edited:

N8IAA

You may want to do a search here on RR, or go to the Iowa state forum. There have been a lot of posts about that particular system.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.