Reception Problems - East Oklahoma Cherokee Turnpike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkatzjr45

Emeritus Member
Premium Subscriber
I have noticed that when traveling to Siloam Springs (via 412) 800mhz reception is horrible,
especially in southern / central Delware CO entering West Siloam Springs, OK

I have tried all the tower locations nearby.

Has anyone else encountered this? Thanks!

n5bew1

Looking at coverage maps that road looks like it is in a fringe area for the analog tower sites.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Another thing to look at is what your using for an antenna and which radio, is it a handheld with a rubber duckie or a base/mobile with a outside antenna.....

n5bew1

Here is the type of 800 MHZ antenna I use on my van. It is about 14 inches tall and has 3.0 db gain which means usually the higher gain the better it hears. This antenna also is better on transmit than a 0 gain antenna. 3.0 DB gain means if 10 watts arrives at the antenna the effective radiated power that is transmitted is 20 watts. It doubles the power out.

Attachments

• 800MHZ_Series.jpg
    800MHZ_Series.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 540
Last edited:

KOK5CY

I don't even like those ant's ...I go with a 5/8 wave 49inch on a larsen nmo ...It's better ear's

KOK5CY

You can use any type of whip to hear 800 mhz ...I've used a 5/8 wave 49inch for yr's and never had an issue hearing any 800 traffic .

ecollins11

Premium Subscriber
You can use any type of whip to hear 800 mhz ...I've used a 5/8 wave 49inch for yr's and never had an issue hearing any 800 traffic .

Those NMO Antennas that are shown in the pics will out preform that 49 inch whip, next time you see a police/ fire vehicle with 800 MHZ you will see those NMO antennas on the vehicles and not a 49 inch whip! I guess a 49 inch whip will out preform this antenna right here.

Attachments

• 102_2155.jpg
    102_2155.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
Antenna theory and the laws of physics supports the 800 MHz design over the 49 inch whip. Use what works for you.

KOK5CY

I use what i like best and my 49 inch whip on a nmo ...Been using the same set up for 15 yr's ..

What i'm saying is the 49 inch whip is better and can pick up long distance traffic ...

Those 800 mhz ant's are only good when you'r with in range of a tower ....Not every town has a trunking tower ....Example : Tulsa - Bartlesville there isn't 1 trunking tower anyplace ...It's all VHF , UHF ....

n5bew1

I use what i like best and my 49 inch whip on a nmo ...Been using the same set up for 15 yr's ..

What i'm saying is the 49 inch whip is better and can pick up long distance traffic ...

Those 800 mhz ant's are only good when you'r with in range of a tower ....Not every town has a trunking tower ....Example : Tulsa - Bartlesville there isn't 1 trunking tower anyplace ...It's all VHF , UHF ....

By reading between the lines of your post it sounds like you use a 2 meter 5/8 wave antenna for all the frequencies you listen to in your mobile. That would be a catch all antenna it will catch signals at 800, 450, 45 and 155 Megahertz. It will perform fairly good on lowband really good on 155, ok on 450 and 800 megs.
In your case that is doing what you wish it to do. In my situation I only listen to OKWIN so I only need an 800
MHZ antenna therefore it does what I want it to do.
Happy listening.

ecollins11

Premium Subscriber

A 49 inch antenna will not pick up long distance traffic on 800 mhz. A 800 mhz antenna will pick up long distance traffic on 800 mhz better than that 49 inch whip. That 14 inch omni 800 base antenna that I have I can hear the towers that are more than 60 miles away and the decode rate on the control channels are 99% and I tried a 49 inch whip and did not hear squat. That 14 inch omni has 5db gain and a 3inch 1/4 wave antenna for 800 will still pick up better than a 49 inch whip on 800. And Tulsa is on 800.

KOK5CY

Ever since i've been in this hobby i've used mostly 1/4 wave 18in whip's on a NMO mount all the way up to that 49inch you say won't hear crap . It's merely location of my mount on my car which is on the rear . I can program OHP 44.700 and hear the base some 60 miles off . If i want to hear say 856.4125 which is phillip's sec in bartlesville i'll hear them 20 miles off . Matter of fact i've used a 1/4 wave 18in whip which is cut for 136-512 mhz for a trunk tracker and can hear 800 fine ...I've explained this enough

You all can argue with me all you want but i know what my set up can hear .

So who's foot goes in who's mouth ...Sure the heck isn't mine ...I sure didn't go to electronic's school to know this info .

KOK5CY

By reading between the lines of your post it sounds like you use a 2 meter 5/8 wave antenna for all the frequencies you listen to in your mobile. That would be a catch all antenna it will catch signals at 800, 450, 45 and 155 Megahertz. It will perform fairly good on lowband really good on 155, ok on 450 and 800 megs.
In your case that is doing what you wish it to do. In my situation I only listen to OKWIN so I only need an 800
MHZ antenna therefore it does what I want it to do.
Happy listening.

It's not cut for 2 meter's it's just a 5/8 wave 150 mhz whip and coil

Status
Not open for further replies.