Reception Problems - East Oklahoma Cherokee Turnpike

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOK5CY

Well i hate to break you'r train of thought but the whip and coil was recommended by a 2-way radio shop tech . As i've said before my 49" whip and the NMO 150 coil do just fine for my set up . Now a 1/4 wave NMO is preset at the factory to operate at 136-512 mhz . My father ran this same ant on his 4-runner for 3 yr's ...Motorola MaxTrac 16 ch w/ the 18" mounted on the driver side front fender ...I know the radio had to be computer programmed for the correct input and output freq's ...

Antennas are a very subjective issue, if it works for you and you're happy with your choice then enjoy your radio experience. There is no such thing as a "magic" antenna, lots of folks can tell you what you should be using but at the end of the day it is your choice. Personally I have a collection of antennas and depending on my requirements at the moment I may choose a particular antenna for a specific application. For monitoring purposes I generally use a modified Radio Shack multi-band scanner antenna, several years ago I modified a NMO base to accept the RS antenna so I could use it with my NMO mount.

iamhere300

There most certainly IS a magic antenna. This is exactly what KOK5CY needs when he starts transmitting with his fake call sign.

NO reflected power across the normal LMR bands. FLAT!

Here is a picture.

Attachments

• dummyload.jpg
    dummyload.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 228

plaws

Premium Subscriber
There most certainly IS a magic antenna. This is exactly what KOK5CY needs when he starts transmitting with his fake call sign.

NO reflected power across the normal LMR bands. FLAT!

Here is a picture.

I have one of these and it's awesome. Widest bandwidth I've ever measured with my SWR analyzer.

Mine is a Cantanna, works great very wideband can handle lots of power, pretty much immune to iterference, best of all you don't even need a license to transmit on any frequency!

ecollins11

Premium Subscriber
Well i hate to break you'r train of thought but the whip and coil was recommended by a 2-way radio shop tech . As i've said before my 49" whip and the NMO 150 coil do just fine for my set up . Now a 1/4 wave NMO is preset at the factory to operate at 136-512 mhz . My father ran this same ant on his 4-runner for 3 yr's ...Motorola MaxTrac 16 ch w/ the 18" mounted on the driver side front fender ...I know the radio had to be computer programmed for the correct input and output freq's ...

Did you get your Antenna from the guy that Jack got his magic beans from ?

Drkatzjr45

Senior Member - Emeritus
Premium Subscriber
Wow! I had NO idea what I started LOL. (Just had a simple question/observation about Eastern OK reception LOL

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
I have found with my particular setup on my pickup truck that a 30 inch whip stuck into a base made for a UHF antenna seems to work the best across the widest spectrum but seems to work the best(est) in the VHF Hi range! I have no trouble picking up Lexington 800 from Midwest City.

KOK5CY

Peter

That so called call sign you say is fake ..It is a station recving IDer that i got back yr's ago and it's NOT ILLEGAL to have . So back off on any info that you come up with on my profile ...If you don't like what i post DON'T READ THEM ..PLAIN AND SIMPLE ...

KOK5CY

Collins

FYI ..I bought my set up from Action Comm in Bartlesville ...Use to be Digicom ...if you'r a real Licensed radio tech you should know the business names ...My set up work's for what i want to hear ...How can i explain it any better ...Every Ham should know you can hear radio traffic on a am/fm ant or even a dipole with the correct connector

KOK5CY

I'm going to make this short and sweet ...Drop the non-sense it's getting very old and childish ...Grow up and let it go ...

I'm going to make this 1 comment to the rest of you ...Everyone has there own set up's and they know what they can and can not listen in on far as band's ...As far as my so called call sign ..It's not a HAM ...It's a Recving Station ...It's not ILLEGAL to have it ...I sure don't see the FCC beating down my door ...

I COME IN HERE TO GET INFO AND PASS ALONG MY IDEA'S ...NOT TO FIGHT ...I SURE DON'T COME IN TO PICK FIGHT'S AND PICK ON OTHER'S LIKE YOU ALL HAVE DONE TO ME ...SO GROW UP AND ACT LIKE ADULT'S ...Were here to help each other and help the new comers

peterjmag

Whoooaaa! Before you fire away you might want to aim harder at your target. Neither plaws nor I said anything about a fake call, 300 did. Second, you are arguing science verses what you say works for you. The point of the matter is that if one was to focus on 800 mhz it might be wise to invest in a good 800mhz antenna for where that antenna is designed. If a whip works for you then fine. The argument then turned to which is better. By design and the science behind radio waves it would only be logical to have an 800mhz antenna for 800mhz, not a 49 inch whip designed for VHF. Once again what works for you is just fine. However, with a history of unsound comments like Sperry, Oklahoma is Osage County and 800 mhz antennas are garbage, you loose a little ground in your argument due to what is fact verses fiction. That is all that was ever said. Happy Scanning and Merry Christmas...

Back in the 50's and 60's there was a magazine published called "Popular Electronics", they would send you a Certificate with a listeners call sign issued to you, they bwgain with WPEnxxx. W for USA, PE "Popular Electronics", n=call area, xxx=sequential number. Mine was WPE5AJK, still remeber for over 50 years.

Yes I also remember the sad story associated with Digicom and the death or it's founder.

N5TWB

Back in the 50's and 60's there was a magazine published called "Popular Electronics", they would send you a Certificate with a listeners call sign issued to you, they bwgain with WPEnxxx. W for USA, PE "Popular Electronics", n=call area, xxx=sequential number. Mine was WPE5AJK, still remeber for over 50 years.

I got a "Registered Monitoring Station ID" through CRB back in the 1970s, it KOK5AP and used a similar scheme. Based on the similarities, I'm guessing KOK5CY got his in the same way as I did.

n5bew1

I got a "Registered Monitoring Station ID" through CRB back in the 1970s, it KOK5AP and used a similar scheme. Based on the similarities, I'm guessing KOK5CY got his in the same way as I did.

Ha this has jostled my memory as I had a certificate from Popular Electronics also about 1963 or so.
Mine was WPE5ECN I am amazed I remembered that.

iamhere300

Peter

That so called call sign you say is fake ..It is a station recving IDer that i got back yr's ago and it's NOT ILLEGAL to have . So back off on any info that you come up with on my profile ...If you don't like what i post DON'T READ THEM ..PLAIN AND SIMPLE ...

KOK5CY I never said your callsign was illegal, just fake. If you were gullible enough to pay for the registered monitoring callsign, more power to you. It was a masterpiece of marketing. Tom Kneitel was a marketing genius. He still owes me dinner. Unfortunately no way to collect, RIP Tom/Alice

Tom designed another antenna you would do great with. Vampire batwing I believe it was called.

And I love your posts! They make my day! They make me chuckle. No posts from you and I feel... lost.

Attachments

• Monitor_Station_Registry_Application.jpg
    Monitor_Station_Registry_Application.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 87

iamhere300

Whoooaaa! Before you fire away you might want to aim harder at your target. Neither plaws nor I said anything about a fake call, 300 did. .

To all - lets be very clear - I and only I made the comment about the fake callsign. I never said illegal, I said fake, and in my eyes that is what it is.

No one else commented on it - just me.

K0K5CY the call sign is strictly between you and I.

KOK5CY

I have this set up in my bedroom window ...NMO150 plugged in my Race 1000 ...I'm hearing all UHF / Vhf Hi and Air and every now and then 800 traffic .

Status
Not open for further replies.