reception worse than my 436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigEvil

One thing I've noticed about my 536HP is that my 436 receives noticeably better than it which is hugely disappointing.

I have both my 536 and 436 programmed with identical favorites lists/settings but I notice when monitoring most of my various departments the 436 picks up must faster/more often, and generally just better than my 536.

I've confirmed this behavior with both stock antennas, upgraded small antennas, and also my large exterior wideband discone.

The 436 even receives much better when using the stock antenna vs the 536 with my external discone.

Any help ideas or tips is greatly appreciated. At this point I'm just about ready to return my 536 and call it quits which would be a sad end of my forrays into the new uniden line.

troymail

Silent Key
One thing I've noticed about my 536HP is that my 436 receives noticeably better than it which is hugely disappointing.

I have both my 536 and 436 programmed with identical favorites lists/settings but I notice when monitoring most of my various departments the 436 picks up must faster/more often, and generally just better than my 536.

I've confirmed this behavior with both stock antennas, upgraded small antennas, and also my large exterior wideband discone.

The 436 even receives much better when using the stock antenna vs the 536 with my external discone.

Any help ideas or tips is greatly appreciated. At this point I'm just about ready to return my 536 and call it quits which would be a sad end of my forrays into the new uniden line.

Well that is interesting -- and disturbing. I've been fighting with the 536 since I got it and I think this is the first time I've heard this type of report.

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
This IS interesting. It could explain why I don't have anywhere near the issues with my 436 as people with the 536 do.

BigEvil

yea, I actually tried them side by side both with the same diamond small RH707 and the 436 smoked the 536. I'll film a video and post.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
BigEvil
I have two 536HPs and one 436HP. I'm in Cerritos. Have not noticed your issue here. In fact, if anything, I find the 436HP to be a bit less sensitive than 536HPs. Especially on LAPD, the 536HPs seem supersensitive. However, I have not run side-by-side comparisons with same antennas on 536HP vs 436HP. I will try that in next couple of days and report back to you.
Not sure where you are located in LA area. As I said, I'm in Cerritos. If you like, you could borrow one of my 536HPs for a few days and see if you have similar issues. My e-mail is sshermanmd@earthlink.net.
I will do side-by-side comparisons and get back to you.
Steve AA6IO

AC2OY

This is genuinely disappointing. Is there anything we as 536 owners can do? I know people are dumping their 536's and going back to their 800's or 996's! I want to listen to phase 2 so either I figure what's the problem or use my 800 again and have a $600.00 paperweight.

vortex360

This is genuinely disappointing. Is there anything we as 536 owners can do? I know people are dumping their 536's and going back to their 800's or 996's! I want to listen to phase 2 so either I figure what's the problem or use my 800 again and have a $600.00 paperweight.

I disputed the charge on my credit card. If Bearcat Warehouse is decent they'll refund my money. Paul is telling customers who have reported the 536 not receiving traffic that it is their user error that is the cause. So I doubt it will even be addressed by Uniden.

BigEvil

please do note that the video above shows that the reception was the same on both! I was shocked, but that's why i posted the video. My initial tests had the 436 greatly outperforming the 536, but it seems that for whatever reason, after a few weeks of usage they perform identically for now.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
BigEvil,
Glad things seem to be working OK. As I stated, my 536HPs seem quite sensitive for all Los Angeles systems, perhaps even a bit better than 436HP, but I am going to run side-by-side tests with same antennas (using my MCA204M multicoupler) just for a more objective comparison.
Steve AA6IO

nr2d

Premium Subscriber

My BCD886T 's receive sensitivity is significant lower than both of my BCD536HPs. I fact my BC796 is significantly better than my BCD996T. I don't have the 436HP to compare it too.

SCPD

QRT
yeah OK!

I disputed the charge on my credit card. If Bearcat Warehouse is decent they'll refund my money. Paul is telling customers who have reported the 536 not receiving traffic that it is their user error that is the cause. So I doubt it will even be addressed by Uniden.

User error?heck,my 996XT blew the 536 out of the water!

SCPD

QRT
question

My BCD886T 's receive sensitivity is significant lower than both of my BCD536HPs. I fact my BC796 is significantly better than my BCD996T. I don't have the 436HP to compare it too.

What is a 886?

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Do you guys have the "streaming" wi-fi feauture turned on? Maybe you're taxing the CPU and slowing it down. Just a thought. I don't own a 536HP.

SCPD

QRT
996T

SHR 996T.

Uniden BCD-996T.I used to have one of those! They had the nicest speaker in them.Wish they made the 996XT silver,its easier to see the letters.To me the 996T and the Xt worked equally as good decoding

Status
Not open for further replies.