Rechargable AA Batteries (Best?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadMarv

Premium Subscriber
In another thread, there was discussion regarding rechargable batteries especially the mAh ratings.

I purchased the Radio Shack precharged 2000mAh NiMH batteries when I purchased my scanner a few months ago. NO problem or complaints as everything has been just fine.

I was looking and I found on the Radio Shack web site an 8 Pack of AA 2700mAh batteries which are "Web Only" available and NOT Radio Shack branded but are Lexmar branded.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...1&origkw=2700mah&kw=2700mah&parentPage=search

However, I decided to to a quick look into NiMH AA batteries and found some interesing things.

There are TWO things I found regarding them.

1. There are the standard NiMH ones.
2. There are Low discharge types Usually precharged ones usually 2100mAh or lower.

I found a good source of information here...

http://www.rechargeable-battery-review.com/editors-choice.html

However, their major information and review is in 2006. Their "Editor's Choice" is the MAHA Powerex 2700mAh AA battery according to their testing.

http://www.rechargeable-battery-rev...attery-tests/aa-nimh-battery-performance.html

Looking at their testing spreadsheet they tested a lot of different branded batteries and ratings and there results are widely varied between the batteries.

Interesting reading on the rechargeable-battery-review web site but I only wish it were a little more up to date.

Last edited:

Slyster

Last edited:

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You don't want low discharge... that would be for long term uses like clocks and remote controls. Always lower capacity

They can be used for anything, and as I have 120 eneloops I can attest they work rather well for many types of equipment.

2000mah at full charge and then 1700mah a year from now without charging beats a 2500mah battery that is dead in a month and rarely has it's rated capacity even when fully charged.

Slyster

Well.. thats not what I meant.. of course all AA's can be used in anything.. it's just more applicable to use the low discharge in situations where you don't want them to die in a few week all on their own... like in an emergency flashlight or clock.

But for something like a scanner... or digital camera... where you need power for hours on end and plan to charge it every few days or so... the regulars are better since they can hold more juice! :)

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
They can be used for anything, and as I have 120 eneloops I can attest they work rather well for many types of equipment.

2000mah at full charge and then 1700mah a year from now without charging beats a 2500mah battery that is dead in a month and rarely has it's rated capacity even when fully charged.

I have been using Sanyo Eneloops in my PRO 96 for about a month now... getting ten to twelve hours out of it with the light on most of the shift.... I was using some 2650 mAh that worked like charms for about seven months then died a very nasty death... even when they were charged in the "proper" charger.... I wondered if they'd last the shift, and surprisingly, they do... if they die early I have a spare set charged and ready to go in my fotog vest.... the set in the scanner is charged in the scanner, the dead set goes into the other brand's "proper" charger....

Slyster

Nice! But why 2000mah when you can go almost 3000mah!! :) Just so you know.. the ones I linked to are top notch and a well known quality brand.. and I do NOT work for them... :)

RadMarv

Premium Subscriber
You don't want low discharge... that would be for long term uses like clocks and remote controls. Always lower capacity

Here you go! These actually last LONGER than alkalines... I have 8 for my pro-96

BATTERIES
http://thomasdistributing.com/shop/...html?SP_id=&osCsid=ir27jifioi0o39fidgb95ql5n7

CHARGER
http://thomasdistributing.com/shop/...ml?SP_id=47&osCsid=hlqk2666sgpvg5mfuio5bno0h5

Slyster,

The batteries you link to are "Accupower" and those are rated nearer a 2500mAh battery according to the reviews on the web site I linked to.

Accupower NiMH 2900 2510.24 86.56 3.12

The battery that the battery review link shows as their "Choice" is

Powerex NiMH 2700 2734.4 101.27 3.43

Thomas Distributing has both batteries.

An 8 pack of the Accupower = $25.97

An 8 pack of Powerex -= $25.47

Add the fact that the Powerex batteries come with a 5 year warranty and I believe that the Powerex is a much better value.

Question is - exactly what is the 5 year limited warranty? What does it cover and how is it redeemed?

I should find out since I recently ordered the 8 Pack and it should have it printed somewhere on the packaging or inside. I'll copy and post it here in this thread.

But just on pricing it's a wash.

On the tested capacity the Powerex wins out.

On tested energy the Powerex wins again

Question is since this is a 2006 review I just wonder how much improvement may have been made with the Accupower battery.

I also found it interesting ALL the stuff on Thomas Distributing regarding the Powerex batteries. They really trump them up.

Slyster

Hmm... thanks for that info... but anyway.. I have 8 of them and even as is they really do outlast alkalines... and have saved me hundreds of dollars by now as my scanner is on 4-8 hours every day. Soon they will surpass 3000mah... and I'll do my homework before I buy my next batts.

RadMarv

Premium Subscriber
Hmm... thanks for that info... but anyway.. I have 8 of them and even as is they really do outlast alkalines... and have saved me hundreds of dollars by now as my scanner is on 4-8 hours every day. Soon they will surpass 3000mah... and I'll do my homework before I buy my next batts.

The good thing about most rechargable batteries is that they WILL save loads of money over regular disposables.

I wouldn't change rechargables just to find a better battery if the current ones I have are performing sufficiently.

The reason I purchased the Powerex recently is that I have many units (not just scanners) that require "AA" batteries. I'll probably pull the ones out of the scanners and replace them with the new Powerex and use the Radio Shack rechargables for the other items.

I'll also do a check on the Radio Shack batteries in the PRO-96 and see how long they last with a full charge and compare them to the Powerex with a full charge. I am sure the Powerex will last longer since they are 2700mAh vs. the 2000mAh Radio Shack.

On another note, AA batteries are already above the 3000mAh level. The other thread already notes them. From what I've found they are only available in Europe now.

I found this on e-bay...

Attachments

• LCD3800BOXX.jpg
    LCD3800BOXX.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 361

RadMarv

Premium Subscriber
I just did a quick look at the Energizer 2500 and on Amazon one reviewer (along with others) states it has a poor shelf life and the rechargable review site also reflects that.

Energizer NiMH 2500 83.46 62.12 0

The numbers are %'s of capacity after 7 days, 14 days and 28 days of storage.

Not sure what caused this with the Powerex 2700

Powerex NiMH 2700 87.95 76.49 81.93

as it shows an increase from 14 to 27 days.

There are others that did similar and I suspect the numbers were just placed in the wrong spot on the spreadsheet.

Just though I'd add for Slyster...

Accupower NiMH 2900 75.26 76.60 72.93

There is a lot of info on

http://www.rechargeable-battery-review.com

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
SLYSTER!
Walmart has Duracell 2650 Mah batteries. $18 and change total cost for 8 of them. They last a long time. Never had a single problem with any of them and I use about 20 or so at a time. I have a digital camera that drains batteries like water. Huge difference from using other brands. The most important thing is what you use to charge them. I use a Maha charger, the MHC-801D. You dont have to go that big if you dont go through that many batteries at one time. However, I do recommend that you get a Maha charger and one that reconditions your batteries. It makes all the difference in the world. My #1. choice in batteries is the Sanyo. Specifically, the 2700 Mah cells. But if you are the over the counter, got to have them right now type of person, the get the Duracells, you wont be disappointed.

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.