Rechargeable Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadgetman728

Premium Subscriber
Anyone using rechargeable batteries with your Hand Helds should give the new Sanyo Eneloop batteries a look. They have a nice info page here - SANYO eneloop | Ready to use Rechargeable Battery - The only battery you will ever need.
Their claim to fame is Low self-discharge. They say the y can keep 90+% battery power, after 6 months storage, impressive. This means the extra batteries you carry will not be dead when you need them a few days after taking them out of the charger. The best part is, they are cheap, I bought mine from Adorama.com for $10 set of 4 "AA"'s.
I'm using them in a PSR-500 and am really impressed how long they are lasting, even with led's, beeps and back lighting. I've been using the white RS rechargeable batts, which are ok, but so far the Eneloops are staying strong. - Gadget

Last edited:

CompuDoc

I bought 4 rechargeable Duracells that were precharged. They last maybe 6-8 hours depending on the activity of the scanner. Not really happy with them but they are only 2000Mah so that could be the reason why they are short lived in my opinion.

hfxChris

Database Admin
The Eneloops have been on the market for a while now, and I've used them since the day they came out. Well, maybe not the day, but fairly soon after they were released.
They're excellent for my uses, where my handheld sits in the house plugged into the AC most of the time, but when I want to grab it and take it with me I don't have to worry about whether or not the batteries in it have discharged. They're great.

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
Eneloops ARE great

The Sanyo Eneloops are widely considered the best rechargables in the photography world. They are the only rechargables I use in my flashes - due to their ability to retain their charge when not in use and their durability when in use. Highly recommended!

methusaleh

Another vote for Eneloop, I've been gradually replacing all of my NiMH stash with Eneloops over the last two years or so. I have been using Energizer NiMHs for about eight years now and seem to get about five years out of each set, with battery life dwindling toward the last year or so (about ten sets of four, rotated about twice a week). I have to say the Eneloops have excellent capacity, hold up fine in storage as advertised, and so far seem to be still accepting a charge to near-new capacity (forgot how many mA I found the last time I checked my oldest set).

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Sanyo Eneloops 2000mah

I have been using the Sanyo Eneloops for many months now and they are clearly much better than other batteries I have tried.

My second choice, believe it or not, is Chicago Electric 2000mah (from Harbor Freight).

My 3rd choice is Panasonic 2300 mah. Mine are several years old and still holding their own.

I vote NO on Energizers, DuraCell, PowerEx 2700s and at least one model of "Digital" brand NiMH AA cells.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
I use MAHA Powerex 2700's. I get almost 13 hours a day out of them with my 396XT. I tried Sanyo's before, although not the Eneloops.

DickH

I use MAHA Powerex 2700's. I get almost 13 hours a day out of them with my 396XT. I tried Sanyo's before, although not the Eneloops.

I think you are really talking Apples and Oranges. Eneloops are low self-discharge batteries. Others are not. There are now quite a few manufacturers. Ray-O-Vac calls theirs Hybrids. Most (all?) of them will say "Pre-charged" on the package. Lately I have bought Kodak brand. Thay are just under $10 for 4 at Walmart.
If you change batteries every day in a scanner, you likely will not benefit from the low self-discharge type, but in a camera there is a world of difference. In the past I would pick up a camera I had not used for many days and the batteries would be dead. The new ones last for months just sitting there.

Status
Not open for further replies.