Rechargeable GPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

freqseeker

I recently purchased a SDS200. Awesome radio. I wish I didn't wait so long. Simulcast reception is amazing.
I have Jon's rechargeable GPS unit and use it with my BCD436. Is there a way to use it with the SDS200? A level converter and cable assembly? I would be interested even though I may get a SDS100 at some point.
Is this something you would consider Jon?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
You might look at this:
BC-SGPS

That is available through a number of sources, including Scanner Master, Bearcat Warehouse, Amazon, and others.

Also see this short thread, with a PDF attachment of directions:

From what I've seen posted elsewhere, the data format for the SDS200 is different than that used by the other scanners (every GPS capable scanner except the SDS200). The other units need a serial output, unlike the SDS200.

Skim through this thread for comments on the differences.

freqseeker

You might look at this:
BC-SGPS

That is available through a number of sources, including Scanner Master, Bearcat Warehouse, Amazon, and others.

Also see this short thread, with a PDF attachment of directions:

From what I've seen posted elsewhere, the data format for the SDS200 is different than that used by the other scanners (every GPS capable scanner except the SDS200). The other units need a serial output, unlike the SDS200.

Skim through this thread for comments on the differences.
Thanks for the reply and links.
I like the new Uniden universal kit. I have the original Uniden GPS, it is a cluster of wires. I used it with my 436 on several road trips. Then I bought Jon's rechargeable unit. I have used it ever since. Long battery life, easy to charge, very sensitive, and most of all one cable.
I wouldn't use the 200 mobile very often. I don't really want to buy another GPS, but if I have to I may just get the one for the SDS200 and the hybrid CB scanner.
I was thinking if there were a easy way to use the rechargeable unit that would be ideal. I have followed the other threads and will read them again.
Thanks again.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply and links.
I like the new Uniden universal kit. I have the original Uniden GPS, it is a cluster of wires. I used it with my 436 on several road trips. Then I bought Jon's rechargeable unit. I have used it ever since. Long battery life, easy to charge, very sensitive, and most of all one cable.
I wouldn't use the 200 mobile very often. I don't really want to buy another GPS, but if I have to I may just get the one for the SDS200 and the hybrid CB scanner.
I was thinking if there were a easy way to use the rechargeable unit that would be ideal. I have followed the other threads and will read them again.
Thanks again.
Offhand, I don't think that your rechargeable GPS could be converted due to the data output differences. (I have one of those as well, for use on my 436HP & SDS100.

Buried in that long thread I linked, I saw a comment from Jon that he intended to make a similar, external & rechargeable, GPS for the SDS200. Wouldn't hurt to send him a message, either through RadioReference, or his email (that's in his signature).

Status
Not open for further replies.