Recieve only Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
In talking to a few folks locally (fellow members of Fire/EMS Organizations) I have heard that you can purchase radios and have them set up to receive only. If I were to purchase an XTS3000 or XTS2500 about how much time/money would I have to invest to say receive Analog Dispatch Channels or even Digital Talk Groups?

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I will curtail this before it gets out of hand, which it surely will.....

Monitoring CONVENTIONAL (non-trunked) analog and digital channels is not difficult at all, and any radio XTS3000 or XTS2500 can be programmed to do so in receive-only mode. You can scan 15 channels plus the selected channel.

Monitoring TRUNKED analog or digital talkgroups in receive-only is a whole other story. With the XTS2500, it is a no since Astro25 radios must affiliate to unmute to any traffic. There is a way to scan and filter talkgroups in conventional mode, but it is tedious and not an ideal solution. XTS3000's can be programmed for receive only, but only by someone that really knows what they area doing. If you are talking about monitoring STARS talkgroups, the XTS3000 is out anyway since they do not support 9600 OBT trunking, 800mhz only. Best to stick with a scanner for trunked systems.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

As just mentioned, this is a very expensive way to scan a very limited number of conventional frequencies. For trunked systems, it basically is non-workable. (There is a plethora of discussion threads on the topic, do a search on them.)

Buy a scanner instead.

I currently have a Radio-Shack Pro-96 that I love, but I am more-so looking for the "ruggedness" of the XTS Model. At first the Pro-96 it was excellent, now it fades in and out, hasn't been updated in a while, doesnt work too well in my home (any suggestions?), and i'm deathly afraid of taking it out of the house because I know if I drop it major damage could occur. I'm not looking to be a wacker or anything just need something that allows me to listen, and not be focused on carrying it like a small child haha

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
You need to be more specific about what you are trying to listen to and your location... that will help us help you...

Hanover Fire's UHF Repeater (or 800 Talk Group), Richmond Fire, Henrico Fire's UHF Repeater (or 800 Talk Group) and maybe Chesterfield and Goochland

immelmen

With the XTS2500, it is a no since Astro25 radios must affiliate to unmute to any traffic. .

I agree, the OP here should stick to a scanner...BUT, can we please stop perpetuating this myth...its just not true, and has been proven false repeatedly.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

immelmen said:
...BUT, can we please stop perpetuating this myth...its just not true, and has been proven false repeatedly.

No, it hasn't been proven. It has been claimed by a few people, without offering proof.

Last edited:

immelmen

No, it hasn't been proven. It has been claimed by a few people, without offering proof.

Wrong. You would be another candidate to benefit from the search function here, and even more so on the batboard. There have been many experiments carried out in controlled supervised environments by people in the industry. I participated in one. There is plenty of dicussion of the details as well as corroboration from others who, on their own duplicated the results. not really sure what more proof your looking for....

KJ4ZIN

Re: Receive Only Radio

If you are looking for durability I would say go for the XTS3000. But like ATF1224 said, it will not cover the STARS system so there are some factors to consider before getting an XTS3000. Is it just the durability you are looking for in getting this radio? Or are there other features of which you are looking for as well?

The xts series is the only radio I have ever used so I know many of its functions and own various accessories for it. Also I have seen them reasonably priced on websites like eBay and the for sale section here. But, yes the durability is a high point as well as the fact that most of the systems I mentioned utilize these or the XTS 5000

KJ4ZIN

Yes the XTS3000's are very durable. I dont have ones myself but I have seen them before, and they work well. Good luck with this and I hope it works out for you if you decide on getting it.

Thank you, would you happen to have any insight on cost or location for programming one of these for receive only?

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
No authorized dealer would program any trunked radio to a system you don't have permission to be on. This is why everyone is telling you to stick to the scanner. You can look in the Motorola sub-forum and see the many, many threads that relate to using a commercial radio for listening to trunked systems. It's not easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.