Recomendations for a mobile wide-band antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

13CA350

Hey everyone

I've been into scanning for almost 10 years now, but I was never too serious about it. I have 3 radios around the house, and now I want to move one into my car.

I just bought a new SUV and a have a radioshack pro-651 that I want to use while driving. I have no idea what antenna I should buy.

I want to be able to listen to:

My local PD, about 450mhz
My local FD, about 150mhz
And the state police which is around 800-850mhz

I also want to be able to listen in to ametuer radio transmissions in my area.

I really don't want to drill, so I was thinking of getting some sort of trunk mount NMO antenna.

I like the idea of a mount like this with an adapter of some sort.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

13CA350

JPSan

A few good choices

Larsen NMO 150/450/800 antenna ( affordable)

Comtelco All-Band Low-Profile Mobile Antenna (affordable)

Laird Multi Band Mobile Antenna ( expensive)

I highly recommend using the NMO mount system whether as a permanent mount, the best way to go OR NMO magnet mount.

These antennas are low profile and look like good.
clear1x1.gif

prcguy

+1 on the models listed plus the Maxrad BMAXSCAN1000 is also designed for 150/450/800 and works well. I've picked up Larsen tri band and Maxrads on Ebay in the $15 -$20 range new.
prcguy

Comtelco All-Band Low-Profile Mobile Antenna (affordable)

Laird Multi Band Mobile Antenna ( expensive)

I highly recommend using the NMO mount system whether as a permanent mount, the best way to go OR NMO magnet mount.

These antennas are low profile and look like good.
clear1x1.gif

DJ11DLN

clear1x1.gif
This is my go-to antenna for mobile scanning, I've had excellent results with it. Works very well, cost-effective, and the performance is well worth the trouble of a hole in the body to NMO mount it...but works quite good on a mag mount (gasp!), if you don't want holes.

That I can use it for my 15X.xxx and 8XX.xxx FD H-T radios in fringe areas as well when necessary is just gravy.:cool:

13CA350

c_snyder

I just ordered a Laird abscanc with a mini trunk lid mount for my truck. The price wasn't too bad and the mini mount doesn't look too hard to install if you were looking at mounting ideas.

I didn't feel like drilling a hole either. That and I don't have time to mess with all of the inside trim removal.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
If your vehicle has an AM/FM antenna on it mounted on one of the fenders, that will work out just fine for the scanner. That way nobody will know that you have a scanner in the vehicle.

DJ11DLN

If your vehicle has an AM/FM antenna on it mounted on one of the fenders, that will work out just fine for the scanner. That way nobody will know that you have a scanner in the vehicle.
A qualifier on this...
Some antennas on some vehicles, on some bands. I have done this in the past. I've had it work acceptably (not really well, just okay) on VHF-Lo/Hi, UHF, and 700/800 MHz...twice. I've had it work just okay on just VHF-Hi, sometimes Lo as well, with the higher bands deaf more than anything and sometimes it renders the scanner far more deaf across the spectrum than with a decent duck inside the vehicle and up high enough to "see" out the windows. It requires trial and error to see if it will work, and it may...but it is not a sure thing. The OP shouldn't expect a miracle using the broadcast antenna for his scanner.

Which is why I echoed the recommendation of the Larsen...every one I've been involved with worked, and not just okay but very well, on the bands they're designed to cover.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
You can't go wrong with the Larsen. On the WS in my vehicle, it even is acceptable for the Highway Patrol on VHF-low.

13CA350

I think that $150 is a good investment for a quality antenna, extra coax, a mount, and some adapters.

One question I have is-

Is it bad to have too many adapters or too much extra coax? Could it significantly degrade performance?

I'm going to need to buy some extra coax and adapters for this project. Here's everything I'll need:

The antenna itself https://www.amazon.com/Larsen-NMO15...r=8-1&keywords=Larsen+NMO+150/450/800+antenna

The NMO mount with a male PL-259 connector https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/cma-cp-5nmo

SO-239 Female to BNC Male https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/aml-000-2900

BNC Female Coupler https://www.amazon.com/niceEshop-Coupler-Adapters-Converter-Connector/dp/B002A6CWCQ

25 Feet of Extra Coax https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-8xdb025

weathermedic

Premium Subscriber
I use the Larsen on my work SUV (NMO mount drilled into roof) and split it between my Uniden 15x and my HP2. Great reception on all bands including the P25 and trunked systems in NYC and performs fairly well on low band when I'm in Nassau County (fire dispatch).

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Panorama Sharkee with tri-band whip. GPS, LTE, 2.4/5 GHz and V/U/7/800. All in a housing which looks similar to some GMT900 OnStar antennas. Look OEM unless you really know what you are looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdbierer

Premium Subscriber
Larsen install

13CA350

How did the antenna installation go? any glitches? also, are you getting the reception that you had anticipated with the Larsen?

I'm thinking of installing the same antenna in my Titan

Thx

13CA350

13CA350

How did the antenna installation go? any glitches? also, are you getting the reception that you had anticipated with the Larsen?

I'm thinking of installing the same antenna in my Titan

Thx

I will let you know when I do, I'm probably going to buy the stuff tonight or tomorrow

gonefishn1

You will have more loss with more length so try not to have a lot extra. I would do a practice run with a rope or string to see just how much length is needed. You maybe surprised. Then get the proper length made up so you don't need to coil up extra coax.

Status
Not open for further replies.