Recomendations for firmware update 396xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomast77

I would like to make some recommendations for any future upcoming firmware updates to the 396xt scanner. I don't see where I can send this to Uniden so I thought I would post it here maybe Upman will see it. I have had this scanner for about 4 months now and there are a few things that bug me.

1. I would like to be able to set delay time for 3 and 4 seconds. I think that used to be available for the 396t model? I would like to see that brought back. Sometimes 2 seconds is not enough but 3 would be and 5 is too long.

2. I would like to be able to set Delay for each channel independently instead of for the whole system. All the scanners I have ever owned had this option and I don't know why newer scanners only allow you to set this for a whole system and not individual channels. It feels like we are kinda going backwards in technology here. There could also be an option in the menu to leave it the way it is for those who like it the way it is.

3. I don't like the way squelch is setup in most of the new scanners. I really do miss having a squelch knob on the scanner instead of having to push a function button and push the knob down to set the squelch. But since it is setup that way I think it would be a good idea to have a squelch setting for each individual channel. It is quite frustrating that there are some channels that occasionally break squelch and instead of pushing the func button and pushing down the knob and raising the squelch I usually just temp lockout the channel. I keep the squelch set to the default of 2. But it would be nice to be able to set it to 3 or 4 for some of the channels that occasionally break squelch. Now I understand some people may like the new setup, So maybe it can be an optional setting like the volume adjustment is. If you leave it blank then it will default to the global setting. Or you can adjust it 1-3 points which would add 1-3 to the squelch for that channel. And I would like to recommend that future scanners put the squelch knob back on the scanners next to the volume knob. I know this is probably done to save money so charge me. I will pay $5 dollars more to have a squelch knob.

That is all I can think of at the moment. If these changes don't make it to a firmware release for the 396xt maybe they can be added to newer releases. I would also be interested in hearing what everyone else thinks about these changes and please feel free to post any changes you would like to see.
Best Regards
Tom

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
I hope the XT does get another Firmware upgrade, but since the last one was almost 2.5yrs. ago, I don't think we're going to see one. Other threads have begged Paul to reply if one would be done in the future or not, but he just remained silent.

But we can hope!

SDavis90

I'm all for the selectable delay within each system.

If they could do the same thing with the delay feature, like they did with the HP-1, it would be perfect. I never understand any excuse for having a system-wide delay instead of being able to set it for each channel.

Needless to say I've been eyeballing and researching the PSR-800 for a while now. Just need to take the plunge.

scanningisfun

I would like to make some recommendations for any future upcoming firmware updates to the 396xt scanner. I don't see where I can send this to Uniden so I thought I would post it here maybe Upman will see it. I have had this scanner for about 4 months now and there are a few things that bug me.

1. I would like to be able to set delay time for 3 and 4 seconds. I think that used to be available for the 396t model? I would like to see that brought back. Sometimes 2 seconds is not enough but 3 would be and 5 is too long.

2. I would like to be able to set Delay for each channel independently instead of for the whole system. All the scanners I have ever owned had this option and I don't know why newer scanners only allow you to set this for a whole system and not individual channels. It feels like we are kinda going backwards in technology here. There could also be an option in the menu to leave it the way it is for those who like it the way it is.

3. I don't like the way squelch is setup in most of the new scanners. I really do miss having a squelch knob on the scanner instead of having to push a function button and push the knob down to set the squelch. But since it is setup that way I think it would be a good idea to have a squelch setting for each individual channel. It is quite frustrating that there are some channels that occasionally break squelch and instead of pushing the func button and pushing down the knob and raising the squelch I usually just temp lockout the channel. I keep the squelch set to the default of 2. But it would be nice to be able to set it to 3 or 4 for some of the channels that occasionally break squelch. Now I understand some people may like the new setup, So maybe it can be an optional setting like the volume adjustment is. If you leave it blank then it will default to the global setting. Or you can adjust it 1-3 points which would add 1-3 to the squelch for that channel. And I would like to recommend that future scanners put the squelch knob back on the scanners next to the volume knob. I know this is probably done to save money so charge me. I will pay $5 dollars more to have a squelch knob.

That is all I can think of at the moment. If these changes don't make it to a firmware release for the 396xt maybe they can be added to newer releases. I would also be interested in hearing what everyone else thinks about these changes and please feel free to post any changes you would like to see.
Best Regards
Tom

I don't see any point in having the option to set the squelch per channel.

Jacob

Status
Not open for further replies.