Recommend an antenna for 150 and 800Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good antenna for both 150Mhz and 800Mhz? I will be using it to listen to conventional and P25 systems, along with Motorola 800MHz. It needs to be an indoor antenna for my BCD996XT.

n5ims

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good antenna for both 150Mhz and 800Mhz? I will be using it to listen to conventional and P25 systems, along with Motorola 800MHz. It needs to be an indoor antenna for my BCD996XT.

You could always use a Larsen Tri-Band (150/450/800) placed on a mag-mount stuck to a steel cookie sheet.

https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmo150-450-800-1050.html

For additional info see this thread --> http://forums.radioreference.com/sc...64-best-tri-band-antenna-mobile-scanning.html

Need to see what I'm talking about? Pic attached. Please note it's normally on a table by the window, but I moved it to get a better picture.

Attachments

• LarsenTriBandOnCookieSheet.jpg
    LarsenTriBandOnCookieSheet.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,451
Last edited:

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Actually 150 mHz and 800 mHz are VERY different in terms of antenna requirements. Getting a single INDOOR antenna that will do both well is going to be tough, especially if the 800 stuff you want to hear is weak in your location. The OCFD will likely be fine on VHF high, but not so good on 800. Have you got room for a big TV antenna in the attic? It would be directional but able to best handle what you're looking for. You could try one if these first, knowing that a bigger antenna in the attic would be better. But stick one of these in a window for starters:
Solid Signal HD-BLADE Indoor Digital Flat Indoor TV Antenna (HDBLADE) from Solid Signal

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
For the Larson antenna, does it have to be mounted to something metal, i mean is that how its grounded.?If i just used command strips to attach it to a table would it not function as well?

n5ims

For the Larson antenna, does it have to be mounted to something metal, i mean is that how its grounded.?If i just used command strips to attach it to a table would it not function as well?

The metal acts as the second half of the antenna (just like the vehicle would). It will still work without it for a scanner, but not as well. I used to stick mine on a couple of 4 drawer metal file cabinets, but after my room was redecorated by my wife, they're no longer near the window so the old rusty cookie sheet (or is it a pizza pan) does the job.

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber

If you do not have a metallic ground plane to act as a counterpoise then the outer shield of the coax from your radio to the connection at the antenna will form part of the antenna and this may cause noise troubles. Also it may distort the reception pattern of the antenna.

An antenna system always has a counterpoise otherwise currents cannot flow and signals cannot be received. It's best, therefore, that the counterpoise be designed into the antenna. With a magnet mount antenna the counterpoise is the metal the magnet is mounted on and currents flow in that metal ground plane by capacitive coupling. Remove that and either the transmission line coax or even the radio itself becomes that counterpoise.

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
I tried a leaf antenna and the reception has greatly increased and I am having no issues. I was only able to try it for about 10 minutes of scanning before going out of town, so ill see if it continues to work when I return.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Had to look it up, but realize that a "leaf" antenna is another name for the TV "blade" antenna I suggested. Glad you had a (brief) initial success! Please report more details here when you get back, such as which band(s) it's working best on, where how you mounted it (window, attic, wall), etc.
It's interesting to me that many people don't realize that you can use TV antennas for scanners and save a lot of money and time. Probably not so interesting to the folks who make the $150-300 special-purpose scanner/commercial antennas.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
It's one of those paper thin, rectangular hdtv antennas, walmart sells them as well as other nickel- dime stores. Some have had good results with them, no experience myself with one.

bigk_54

I am using a Valor ProAm PMM3B on my Uniden 996T, and I just ordered a Spectrum Force Wideband for my 436HP and I use them indoors on the window sill attached to a "very small" 2"x6" piece of thin steel, The other thing I like about this antenna is the fact that I can quickly take it and attach it to my truck and I put it in the front windshield of my motorhome too attached to a bolt on the dash and it isn't too bulky
I'm gonna say that it works really well. Here is the link for the Spectrum Force SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna with Mag Mount and BNC

Status
Not open for further replies.