Recommend entry level equipment for newbie on West Side Indy

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopsdogg

I'm a newbie and looking for an entry level scanner. I almost bought the Radio Shack Pro-95 yesterday, but I'm holding off doing some more research. I really don't think I can afford digital equipment right now. From what I read most of Indy stuff is not digital yet. Are there any other models/brands I should look at besides the Pro-95 for a newbie. I don't want a piece of junk, but it is my first scanner so I don't need the best stuff out there either. Would like to listen to government/municipal stuff as well as civilian if possible. Just a computer geek trying to learn a new technology.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
If you cannot afford a digital scanner, the pro-95 is a great scanner. In fact, I think it's on sale right now for $179.99. You will be able to monitor MECA with the pro-95, however they are making the switch to Digital early next year. Also, without a digital scanner you will not be able to hear the ISP as they use SAFE-T which is digital.

The pro-96 is on sale right now as well for $449.99. That's a very good price.

Might want to also look into a used 800MHz trunk tracker scanner. Search the classifieds here and on Ebay . You might be able to pick one up cheap.

chopsdogg

Are there any Uniden models similar to the RS Pro-95 that anyone would recommend?

schnit

If you want my $.02, you should wait and save for a digital like the Uniden BC796D (Base) or the BC296D (Handheld). Both are excellent radios and as scanner freak pointed out, Scanners are coming down in price. Most public safety communications in Indiana are switching to the more reliable 800Mhz digital systems. Even most rural areas will be switching to digital with the SAFE-T system. Ft Wayne switched to their own Motorola Type II Astro system 2 years ago, so its likely that INDY may follow suit sometime in the near future. Especially now that surrounding counties and ISP are using digital now. Since all analog scanners are on their way to being obsolete, you'd be much happier springing the 5 bills for a scanner that will let you have it all and let you hear the things you really want to hear, and for many years to come.

Also, I would not reccomend the Radio Shack Pro-96. It is not 9600 baud capable like the uniden is and for about the same price.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
schnit said:
Also, I would not reccomend the Radio Shack Pro-96. It is not 9600 baud capable like the uniden is and for about the same price.

The pro-96 is 9600 baud capable...

Status
Not open for further replies.