recommend indoor scanner antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
Can anyone recommend a good indoor antenna for a scanner. Some of the local frequencies come in real quiet and broken. Anyrecommendations?

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone recommend a good indoor antenna for a scanner. Some of the local frequencies come in real quiet and broken. Anyrecommendations?

Indoor is tough, since you dont say what bands you are trying to pick up. If you have a indoor tv antenna with a 75 ohm coax you could get an adapter for your scanner and try that. If you are trying to get a specific band, you should be able to find a 1/4 wave or 5/8 wave whip for your scanner which will work better than the helical duck that comes with them.

For best results tho, you really need to get one outside.

dmg1969

Where do you plan on putting the antenna? Indoor could mean many things. I have an antenna in the attic, so that would be an indoor antenna. What frequencies are you trying to receive? That will also affect your options.

N8IAA

What scanner? What antenna are you using? Monitoring Delaware county?
Could they have narrow banded their conventional analog frequencies?
Listening to Powell on the 800MHz repeater?
All questions that can make the right antenna choice.
HTH,
Larry

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The scanner being used doesn't matter that much. What's important as far as antenna is concerned:
- What bands are you listening to
- Are all the signals directional from you, or do you need omni-directional
- How much space do you have for this indoor antenna

12dbsinad

Agree with the other posts here, need more info. Do you have access to an attic space? Are you talking about a better antenna right at the scanner itself? Bands?

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

.... And what happened to the OP? kr0490, kr0490... RR calling...

Last edited:

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
I am using it during college in Athens Ohio. I need to listen to a couple Ohio marcs frequencies, along with several in the 150 FM band, such as local police, which are the ones I am trying to improve reception of. I am using a pro-106 scanner. I will be putting the antenna inside my studio apartment.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

First suggestion given in this thread was prob a good one: Use a TV antenna. Solid Signal sells a flat antenna you can put right against a window. $20. Put it in a window on an upper floor that is in the direction of your nearest MARCS site. Use a female F to SMA adapter or whichever matches your scanner. Run the coax to your scanner. Simple, inexpensive, and potentially very effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.