Recommend Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlamX

I would like recommendations on which hand held scanner I might get to listen to Denver Police/Fire which is now on digital. I was using a Uniden Trunk tracker III befire they went digital and liked it a lot.

Thanks.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As the writeup above suggests, this question should go to the Colorado forum. This is one where the locals will give you the straight scoop 73 Mike

jclarkr6

I use a BCD396XT to monitor the Illinois Starcom21 (a P-25 system) towers in my area and I have been impressed with how well it performs. While I would recommend a BCD396XT to just about anybody, I realize that everyone has a different taste in electronics. Take a look at the BCD396XT and compare it to the GRE PSR-500 and the RadioShack (excuse me, "The Shack") Pro-106. I compared all three of them for quite awhile until I finally decided to get the BCD396XT and I think it's one of the best purchases that I've ever made. Of course, I was in the market for a portable scanner, which is why I compared the above scanners. If you're looking for a base scanner, you would want to examine scanners such as the Uniden BCD996XT, GRE PSR-600, and the RadioShack Pro-197. Ka3jjz gave you some good advice, ask the other users in the Colorado forum what is working well for them, they could probably tell you what scanner(s) performs well on the various systems out there.

Don't forget to check out the RR Wiki for information on all of the above scanners: Category:Digital Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
Denver PD and FD are not digital. They are still analog, but I am guessing you lost them because of ESK being activated. The GRE-500 will track it just fine, as will the 396XT. I'm not sure if there are others or not. What you need is a scanner capable of ESK decoding.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
GRE-500 / 600
BC 396 / 996
RS Pro-106 / 197

Would recommend the Radio Shack as the easiest to program and use followed by the GRE's (same radio really) then the 396/996 which are much more complicated.

Do you just wanted Denver FD/PD or others metro agencies as well? Might be a cheaper option for you.

Jim<

nathancarlson

maybe you could find one on ebay. Do the pro-96 decode esk? don't remember since I upgraded to the 106. I would shoot for the uniden 396xt though because it has endless features.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
And if you want to talk to someone in person about scanner, I know a place... [cheap plug] Come by and visit me @ the RadioShack on the 16th St Mall in downtown Denver. [/cheap plug]

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
For those who don't have a triple titanium card.......

If you cannot budget $500 for a digital scanner the Uniden BC346XT Portable, Uniden BCT15X Desktop and the new RadioShack iSCAN portable will also track Denver's ESK system.

These scanners are in the $230 price range.

eyes00only

Denver PD and FD are not digital. They are still analog, but I am guessing you lost them because of ESK being activated. The GRE-500 will track it just fine, as will the 396XT. I'm not sure if there are others or not. What you need is a scanner capable of ESK decoding.

Just curious. What does EDACS stand for, as in the Denver GE EDACS system?

JK

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Just press play.

Surprising that Apple Computer hasn't unleashed their lawyers. Yet.

It's analog only so it would be useful for monitoring EDACS systems including Denver and Lakewood EDACS ESK along with conventional and LTR business systems.

On sale this would make for an affordable radio for monitoring Denver and Lakewood.

SlamX

But does the iScan do ESK for Denver? Does not say so in its description.

Status
Not open for further replies.