• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Recommendation for civilian radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ4SKP

I’m hoping someone could recommend a radio to me that would fill a roll as a small unit 2-4 comm solution. This radio would have robust construction and would be used on a plate carrier and would likely see some rough conditions. Digging around the Motorola site it appears there aren’t options for a civilian to buy radios that would fill a tactical roll. I really like the SRX 2200 but realize there are many features of this radio that would eclipse my needs ( but I still want it). Is there a Motorola radio that would fit my needs and be available for purchase and allow programming?

prcguy

What band(s) do you need? Amateur, commercial, GMRS, MURS?? Are you aware what an SRX 2200 costs?

I’m hoping someone could recommend a radio to me that would fill a roll as a small unit 2-4 comm solution. This radio would have robust construction and would be used on a plate carrier and would likely see some rough conditions. Digging around the Motorola site it appears there aren’t options for a civilian to buy radios that would fill a tactical roll. I really like the SRX 2200 but realize there are many features of this radio that would eclipse my needs ( but I still want it). Is there a Motorola radio that would fit my needs and be available for purchase and allow programming?

KJ4SKP

I’m aware of the cost of that radio. I need an amateur band radio ( I have my general )

prcguy

Of all the older affordable Motorola's, my favorite is the XTS2500. Its the most recent and smallest of the series and does just about anything you could want in a single band radio. Programming software is "available" and if you get one with AES a cheap KFDtool will key load it.

What band(s)? What digital mode(if any)? What is your budget?

Generally speaking, I'd recommend an HT750.

mbnv992

HT1000 or MTS2000.
Unless you have a black AMX card, than go for an APX8000HXE.
Since we have no idea what band / anything about your system you want to use / what environment the radio will be in so we can’t really be of much help.

KJ4SKP

I would need the radio to operate on amateur radio bands. this would be a very small network of radios 3-4 that would need to communicate amongst the 3-4 units. Obviously I don't have a lot of experience with these systems. The radios would be operated outside and inside buildings, in forests, wet conditions and general military type operation.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Simplex operation in close quarters? What is the distance needed? On a repeater? Much more information needed to assist. For ham use, there are dozens of fairly rugged LMR radios from Motorola Solutions and a half a dozen manufacturers that fit the bill. You also need to consider the cost of legally obtaining programming software, programming cables, and the skill set to maintain them. MSI stuff like the APX are complex and not designed for intended for hobbyists and while they are very powerful, getting them up and running requires more than just throwing a bunch of money down.

KJ4SKP

Simplex operation in close quarters? What is the distance needed? On a repeater? Much more information needed to assist. For ham use, there are dozens of fairly rugged LMR radios from Motorola Solutions and a half a dozen manufacturers that fit the bill. You also need to consider the cost of legally obtaining programming software, programming cables, and the skill set to maintain them. MSI stuff like the APX are complex and not designed for intended for hobbyists and while they are very powerful, getting them up and running requires more than just throwing a bunch of money down.

Would like the option to operate simplex and repeater. Are there some LMR radios from Motorola or other mfgs you could suggest?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
XPR7550e is a fairly decent radio. Kenwood NX-5000 series, Icom IC-F52UL come to mind. The Kenwood and Icom radios are easier (and cheaper) to get software for. I assume your needs are analog only? If so, the digital capability (DMR on XPR and KW NX5K, NXDN on KW and Icom) aren't a concern for you. FWIW most of the DMR ham activity around here is UHF, though we do have one P25 2m machine (mine).

Last edited:

K9RPL

XPR's especially the 6550's are cheap and reliable. 7550's are better but more pricey. Getting access to the CPS can be a challange unless you have someone who is willing to program them for you. It's not difficult.

prcguy

After going through a lot of older gen Motorola's I still recommend the XTS2500 for features, size, performance and price. Model III with full keypad and FPP are a little more costly but plain model IIs are pretty cheap. I've bought great condition UHF model IIIs with FPP and AES for under $150 and similar for VHF. I have some basic UHF models that were under $50 and work great and a number of 900MHz models all under $100. New batteries are reasonably priced and used IMPRES chargers are about $25. After doing some research (not on RR) you will find CPS out there for free download. Programming cable is about $15 and your off and running.

KJ4SKP

Getting closer to a decision and leaning towards an XPR 7550e. The dealer has offered to program it for me. I’m thinking VHF for greater range outdoors but understand the limitations of VHF and UHF. Seems like there are more VHF repeaters in my area. I am a little concerned with this radio being a single band however. Seems like a dual band‘s versatility would be desirable in an emergency situation. Which band would you choose and why?

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
Getting closer to a decision and leaning towards an XPR 7550e. The dealer has offered to program it for me. I’m thinking VHF for greater range outdoors but understand the limitations of VHF and UHF. Seems like there are more VHF repeaters in my area. I am a little concerned with this radio being a single band however. Seems like a dual band‘s versatility would be desirable in an emergency situation. Which band would you choose and why?

For those two bands, it’s virtually a toss up. Both are line of sight. If VHF is more ubiquitous in your area, then that’s probably the band to focus on.

As for versatility, dual band is better and also not those radios. They generally lack front panel programming (and when you can get it, it’s not all that great). In an emergency, you may need to switch frequencies or tones and you won’t be able to.

prcguy

For outdoors, especially in wooded areas VHF will give more distance as trees and foliage will absorb more at UHF. If you were running around in Manhattan UHF would be better as it bounces around more in dense urban areas.

KJ4SKP

Found what seems to be a good deal on an XPR 7550e UHF For $550. I thought the programming software was $300 and this radio includes the software and programming cable. Does anything look fishy to you?
”BRAND NEW MOTOROLA XPR7550E ANALOG AND DIGITAL 403-512 MHz UHF RADIO WITH WI-FI GPS BLUE TOOTH AND COMES WITH RADIO BELT CLIP ANTENNA DUST COVER BATTERY BATTERY CHARGER INCLUDED IS THE PROGRAMMING CABLE AND SOFTWARE TO PROGRAM THE RADIO “

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
Found what seems to be a good deal on an XPR 7550e UHF For $550. I thought the programming software was $300 and this radio includes the software and programming cable. Does anything look fishy to you?
”BRAND NEW MOTOROLA XPR7550E ANALOG AND DIGITAL 403-512 MHz UHF RADIO WITH WI-FI GPS BLUE TOOTH AND COMES WITH RADIO BELT CLIP ANTENNA DUST COVER BATTERY BATTERY CHARGER INCLUDED IS THE PROGRAMMING CABLE AND SOFTWARE TO PROGRAM THE RADIO “

it is $300. Depending on where you’re buying this, it could be a “kit” radio that someone assembled form parts off damaged radios and the software they are selling is likely pirated. You have to buy it from Motorola directly.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
yes, the software is licensed by Motorola and it is not legal for them to resell it like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.