• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Recommendation for civilian radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I’m hoping someone could recommend a radio to me that would fill a roll as a small unit 2-4 comm solution. This radio would have robust construction and would be used on a plate carrier and would likely see some rough conditions. Digging around the Motorola site it appears there aren’t options for a civilian to buy radios that would fill a tactical roll. I really like the SRX 2200 but realize there are many features of this radio that would eclipse my needs ( but I still want it). Is there a Motorola radio that would fit my needs and be available for purchase and allow programming?

Civilian Ops? Small unit comms solution? Plate carrier?

Something doesn't pass the smell test. This sounds like Meal Team 6 type stuff.

Regardless, it doesn't sound like you need much for bells and whistles. XPR-7350 or XPR6350 would probably be adequate. If your doing something risk, tactile fast food ops, and voice security is paramount, look at XTS5000 M1 with AES256. you can key load with the KFD tool for cheap, no need for a KVL these days. Lots of tacticool accessories available for all three radios on fleabay.

KJ4SKP

I guess to get dual band in the motorola line you have to jump up to APX eh? Lots of great info here fellas. Thanks for the help.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Civilian Ops? Small unit comms solution? Plate carrier?

Something doesn't pass the smell test. This sounds like Meal Team 6 type stuff.

Regardless, it doesn't sound like you need much for bells and whistles. XPR-7350 or XPR6350 would probably be adequate. If your doing something risk, tactile fast food ops, and voice security is paramount, look at XTS5000 M1 with AES256. you can key load with the KFD tool for cheap, no need for a KVL these days. Lots of tacticool accessories available for all three radios on fleabay.

One thing, keep in mind, the XPR7350 doesn't have a SMA connector, so the super duper tacticool blade antenna isn't an option for it.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
why would a Yaesu VX-6 not be a good option?
Sounds like a great option, they could put it in a PRC-152 look alike case that is sold cheap on E-bay (for paintball-airsoft players etc.) and have room for a nice big battery, some padding for shock resistance, and a plastic bag for waterproofing, and it would fit the military style radio pouches.

(No, I'm not kidding, I've been think along these lines for a while)

Thanks
Joel

prcguy

There are already several radios like this, some you cant tell from a real 152 unless you go through the menus. They even have aluminum cased versions. The insides are still foreign made junk but they look good.

Sounds like a great option, they could put it in a PRC-152 look alike case that is sold cheap on E-bay (for paintball-airsoft players etc.) and have room for a nice big battery, some padding for shock resistance, and a plastic bag for waterproofing, and it would fit the military style radio pouches.

(No, I'm not kidding, I've been think along these lines for a while)

Thanks
Joel

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Thanks PRCguy,

I think putting a nice Yeasu or Icom inside a nice solid case would really improve things, and as I said give room for at least a bigger battery and padding.

I would love to see some entrepreneur put a DC to daylight radio (I know there are small .1Mhz to 6ghz oscillators and amps), in a case like that, with space for further improvements.

The ultimate HT would be like that, with a sound card, Rasberry Pi and tiny display to cover everything, (and even do FS8CALL or other advanced waveform).

I'd settle for a good all ham band radio in a PRC-152 case. :)

Thanks
Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.