Recommendation for my area (BCD436HP or BCD325P2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Whiskey, sorry but I don't see a map posted. Can you repost it again so I can ascertain my location relative to towers? Thanks!
There's no posting. By "Frequency map" I meant an identical set of frequencies broadcast by more than one tower (simulcast). What system are you looking at? If you click the site name in the database then scroll down to "Site FCC licenses" you can click a callsign and get a visual map of each site

Bob1955

Hello all, I am a newbie to scanners and wanting to purchase my first. I'm looking for a recommendation to monitor Lafayette Parish, LA and surrounding areas police, fire, ambulance and other emergency services as well as airport traffic (and anything else that comes my way). As I understand, most of Lafayette Parish and the state of Louisiana are on the 800 band, while surrounding parishes are analog. To cover it all, I've narrowed my choices to the 436HP or the 325P2. I travel sometimes and might bring the scanner with me at times.

I've read many posts here and many reviews for both models. I know both models are good and packed with features but complicated and I will have a learning curve regarding programming and using the features. But I'm recently retired so I have time to play and learn. And this forum contains priceless resources and knowledge!

I welcome and appreciate any and all thoughts in helping me decide which is best for my area! Thanks!
BMan56, Go with the Bearcat BCD-325P2 as it is a proven winner, it is the handheld version of the BCD-996P2 base which I own. Yes, it only takes (2) AA batteries vs. (3) on the BCD-436HP but you are paying for a SD card, a built in RR database and zip code programing and that model is not great on VHF/UHF analog as my best friend owns it. If I were you, I would call Paul at Bearcat Warehouse and he can be reached at 877-568-7226 and also he is on YouTube with video's on their products. This outfit is the BEST to purchase from and also no sales tax/free shipping too.
Hope this helps you with your purchasing decision.

red8

All of Lafayette City and Parish agencies are encrypted. None of the scanners will be able to pick those up. However there are some agencies in the nearby Parishes and State Police Troop I are trackable.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
that model is not great on VHF/UHF analog as my best friend owns it.
That is a myth. It's not possible to have poor analog performance and good digital performance. All signals are analog when they come from the antenna. Conversion to digital happens after the analog carrier signal is received, so analog reception performance is always at least as good as digital reception performance.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Can second the above comment. The issue is I (and maybe "we") get used to the crisp digital stuff then hear the analog and think its lacking. My SDS100 and SDS200 pick up analog just fine, the real difference is the antenna.

The antenna on mine are specifically made for UHF therefore my 400/700/800mhz is better. However it's average or below average on VHF. If I put a whip tuned to VHF or the stock (crappy for UHF digital), VHF sounds better.

LWIN is full of stuff you can monitor, I wouldn't base your scanner choice on an agency or two being encrypted. That's not counting numerous other systems/frequencies/bands you will hear. The only reason I don't have a 325P2 is that I have both SDS models. The size and information available is superb plus all the other comments in this thread. I do have the size comparable 125AT; while a good little radio for what it is, I wouldn't have it as a primary radio.

I would skip the 436/536hp and go straight for the SDS units. Neither of the former are "bad" radios, for a slight cost increase you will get much more for it.

And yes I'd recommend the Remtronix antenna as well. It's a night and day difference.

charlie12

I ordered a Remtronix for my 436 tonight. I listen to LWIN 99% of the time on that scanner. My buddy advised me to get one he loves his for the 700 mhz stuff

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
I own a 325p2 in new orleans, and i am lucky to live on the edge of the simulcast system, but also i use two antennas one is the mag mount cell antenna, i get seamless coverage and works well on the vhf and uhf as well.
Now i have the old bag phone antenna also i use for 800 mhz coverage.
For a handheld it works well, i think for both i paid 22 bucks.
Get a tnc to bnc adapter for the scanner.$_12.jpeg$_1.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.