Recommendation for Portable SW radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

jozamm

Dear all,

I want to enter the world of Shortwave radio. I have read several reviews over the Internet all with their pros and cons for portable models. I have a good Budget of up to Eur400. If there are any special features is good sensitivity and selectivity, good performance on the SW band and portability. An external antenna would be an asset.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

W8WCA

I would look at The above mentioned PL-990X and:
Tecsun PL880, S-8800 (Anon-co is a good place to purchase the S-8800)
I like my Sangean ATS-909X2 - the only downsides on it are - Low Volume in USB/SSB and only one Filter for USB/SSB
That said it is still my go to Portable
There is also a Eton Elite Executive I have friends that like it a lot - (I do not have one)

An Inexpensive antenna that does well for many including my self is the MLA-30 a amplified Loop (You need to make the support for loop)

W8WCA

Here are some review Links to what I mentioned

mikethedruid

I have used a Tecsun PL-600 for a number of years now. It can still be had new for less than half of what the PL-990 costs, and is not that far behind it in performance. It is double conversion, which helps with image rejection, and both very sensitive and selective. It also has a BFO which allows the reception of CW and SSB signals. Its tuning is very accurate, with an easily readable digital LCD. I actually use mine to double check the frequency my old EICO signal generator is putting out when doing alignments on radios I am restoring. It works very well on just the built in antenna, but has a jack to plug in an external antenna if you wish. If you are looking for a great radio to start into the hobby of shortwave listening, I highly recommend it as an excellent value for the money.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
Here are my suggestions. Tecsun PL-660, 990x, 330. Ccrane SSB Skywave, regular skywave. I do want to own a Sangean 909x2.

majoco

Stirrer
I'm mainly a desktop user but I do have a couple of pocket portables - a Degen 1103 which is probably not made anymore and a Tecsun PL-600 which others have mention and it's very good. If I was looking in the market I would go for the Tecsun S2000 but it might be out of your price range and it's hardly "pocket portable"!

Boombox

Any of the Tecsuns will probably do the job, even off the whip antenna. Modern radios with DSP chips inside really pull in and filter SW signals well, where even the whip antenna will hear a lot.

The main limiters are RFI noise in the house, and solar propagation which is still iffy many nights. But there are still nights and mornings where the ionosphere kicks in and there is much to be heard.

hagensieker

Premium Subscriber
Depending on your plans some of the best short wave radios aren't short wave radios at all. Get an RTL-SDR device like SDRPlay or Airspy with an up converter and not only can you listen to short wave you can do all manner of other things with them on the HF spectrum and it is somewhat portable with a laptop, although kludgy to drag around.

Again, depending on what you want to do I prefer radios with an external antenna connector and a dedicated Line Out. With a good Line Out you can easily record things of interest. In the beginning you might just want to listen but at any point if review, or blog about the radio or even just like to share you'll be glad you have a radio with a Line Out.

I like the Tecsun's and that Sangean 909.

Status
Not open for further replies.