Recommendation for Scanner and Installer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernemannt

I am looking to purchase a mobile scanner for my Honda Civic Coupe. What brand of scanner is best for Johnson County and Iowa Highway Patrol? And who would you recommend as a professional installer of the scanner in my car? Thanks.

divemedicdrb

Mobile Scanner

Hey

I run the Iowa City feed here on RR. If you're getting a mobile for your car, you'll want the BDC996t, or 996xt scanner. Right now, Iowa CIty and Johnson County are Analog, but as of July, they're going digital. So any analog scanner you cant now wont work. The 996 Uniden scanners are both digital.

They also come with a DIN sleeve, so if your civic has a standard DIN slot for the stereo unit, you can actually just slide the scanner into the slot.

THey're also both programmable from computer. The readio system in the county is going to get complicated when it goes digital. There's going to be hundreds of talkgroups, channels, and codes etc. You'll want to be able to program the scanner and lockout unwanted channels from the computer. Otherwise you'l spend hours spinning the knob and pushing buttons to program the scanner the slow way.

Check ebay for good deals on the Uniden BCD996t /xt scanners.

W0JJK

For the install try this shop.

Communications Engineering Company

1630 Willow Creek Drive
Iowa City, IA 52246-4220

Get Directions
(319) 338-1281

www.ceciowa.com‎

Last edited:

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
lol... If it was warmer, I would volunteer for a case of beer!

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
Nothing.......................sounds like your trip to Sioux City was profitable.

I doubt you will put Graybil out of business, but good luck in your new venture.

I had already started before my trip to SC. We're not going to put anybody out of business, just tired of the high cost/low quality installs SOME of the radio shops in the area do. We're not even anywhere near competing with Graybill.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I am looking to purchase a mobile scanner for my Honda Civic Coupe. What brand of scanner is best for Johnson County and Iowa Highway Patrol? And who would you recommend as a professional installer of the scanner in my car? Thanks.

I'd volunteer to assit you(assuming your in the IC area). Burner50 has seen my installs, I think I do a good job.

Tim K.

Status
Not open for further replies.