Recommendation for the best long distance AM radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kellxr7

Greetings. Newbie here, I recently got into swling & I own a Eton Grundig Field & a Tecsun PL680, while they seem like great radios their weaknesses seem to be AM/MW & when I go fishing/camping up in northern Canada, I don't spend much time scanning SW while I am up north, but would rather get AM to keep up to date & feel 'at home' I am wondering what portable radios might be out there that have the strongest AM reception? (Currently I have a Milwaukee jobsite radio that actually picks up AM better than the Eton & Tecsun.) Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

rwier

" ... what portable radios might be out there that have the strongest AM reception? ....... Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated ..."

The greatest distance over which I have listened to "standard" AM radio broadcasts occurred back about '53-'55. I was in Phoenix, AZ, and I listened to Shreveport, LA, and Del Rio, TX. These "stations" got stronger after midnight. I was using a crystal set with headphones. :lol:

RFBOSS

Yes, a tuned loop antenna can and will work wonders.

Tuned loops are selective in that they enhance the desired signal and not unwanted signals (that is the tuned part).

They are also directional especially the nulls and this can be used to attenuate an unwanted signal and or noise.

teufler

AM receivers, best I ever worked with was a Collins 51-S1, from Midway Island to Oklahoma City, KOMA 1520 ON THE AM DIAL. About 4500 miles. Don;t know what radio gear the airplane had, but during Viet Nam,, at 35,000 feet with a trailing wire antenna dragging along, we received San Francisco, when Bobby Kennedy was shot. This was not SSB, but AM. About 7500 miles. Learned an early lesson, height was everything when it came to antennas. Length also helped. At Midway, we had real long wire antennas, than ran from the ops hanger to a real far off water tower. Used for contacting DEW line aircraft all over the Pacific. After that, it was all downhill on antenna designs.

fenderblue

I ordered and have the CCRadio now. I wasn't to concerned of the AM but I have had always problems in the FM stations. I have had wally world or similar and never want to much money. This one is fantastic can get all of the stations 60-70 miles away. It has a good place to screw a aux antenna unlike cheaper radios. I have just connected in with my HP-1 at the bedside. Got from Universal Radio $74.95 + shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.