Recommendation on base antenna for 996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSig

Please need some advise regarding a decent base antenna for the 996XT.

I am exploring the Laird Y8066 Yagi base model. Mount on the roof of two story house.

I will want to reach out and touch as more and more local PD's go Open Sky.

I live in Rochester Hills - want to get Detroit PD, Fire, EMS. Also any Oakland and Macomb county local PD's or beyond as I lose my local listening ability with OS.

Is there also any merit in a "power booster" devise for the antenna - to get clearer in-coming?

Thanks in advance - the folks on this forum seem pretty informed and willing to benefit everyone here.

JoeSig

KD8FSJ

Premium Subscriber
Please need some advise regarding a decent base antenna for the 996XT.

I am exploring the Laird Y8066 Yagi base model. Mount on the roof of two story house.

I will want to reach out and touch as more and more local PD's go Open Sky.

I live in Rochester Hills - want to get Detroit PD, Fire, EMS. Also any Oakland and Macomb county local PD's or beyond as I lose my local listening ability with OS.

Is there also any merit in a "power booster" devise for the antenna - to get clearer in-coming?

Thanks in advance - the folks on this forum seem pretty informed and willing to benefit everyone here.

JoeSig

This antenna works okay for me at my location. Some things to coincider is good coax (I prefer LMR400) with the right connectors already soldered on. Also a rotor or way to turn the antenna, because this is a directional antenna.

I use a GRE 3001 Super Amp on a different antenna, if you can find one these work great.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.