Recommendations for a new home built antenna... I am new to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

coreymas

Good evening everyone.

I am new user to the world of radio and would like some advise about building a simple portable antenna.

Here is the equipment that i have so far.

1 handheld radio Tecsun R-9012 (will be getting a Tecsun PL-380 in the mail in a week)

1 set of 4 alligator clips (24-12 gauge capable)
1 spool of 18 Gauge bare copper wire (25ft)

1 multitool with pliers.

Was thinking of a simple coil type antenna along the lines of this.

1. Buying a broomstick handle (about 4-5 feet high)
2. Making the coil antenna near the top of the handle with a small 4 inch tail at the bottom
3. Creating a long 10 ft copper wire (with new wire i will purchase) with alligator clips at both ends.

Basically i will stick the stick (pardon the pun) into the ground (or snow... we have alot here this year) and then clip one clip to the tail on the stick and one clip onto the telescopic antenna on the radio.

Sound crazy? Any suggestions?

Corey

majoco

Stirrer
Look on YouTube for "Broomstick" antenna. The original one was published here.....

Broomstick Special, easy-to-build shortwave antenna -- on hard-core-dx.com

......but Google spits the dummy on that URL.

I wouldn't recommend connecting anything to the telescopic antenna - they are very prone to static charges zapping the input amplifier - preferably you should connect to the external antenna socket if there is one.

Last edited:

prcguy

Unless you tap the coil where it is resonant on the frequency you want to receive, it will work no better than a straightened out coat hanger. A bunch of wire wound into a coil doesn't do much unless its part of a tuned antenna.

Stretching out your 25ft of wire and getting it in the air will make an ok SW antenna. 50ft is better.
prcguy
Good evening everyone.

I am new user to the world of radio and would like some advise about building a simple portable antenna.

Here is the equipment that i have so far.

1 handheld radio Tecsun R-9012 (will be getting a Tecsun PL-380 in the mail in a week)

1 set of 4 alligator clips (24-12 gauge capable)
1 spool of 18 Gauge bare copper wire (25ft)

1 multitool with pliers.

Was thinking of a simple coil type antenna along the lines of this.

1. Buying a broomstick handle (about 4-5 feet high)
2. Making the coil antenna near the top of the handle with a small 4 inch tail at the bottom
3. Creating a long 10 ft copper wire (with new wire i will purchase) with alligator clips at both ends.

Basically i will stick the stick (pardon the pun) into the ground (or snow... we have alot here this year) and then clip one clip to the tail on the stick and one clip onto the telescopic antenna on the radio.

Sound crazy? Any suggestions?

Corey

Status
Not open for further replies.