Recommendations for a scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisRossi

I am looking for a good scanner for my local fire and dispatch centers. The dispatch uses 33.800 MHz. Anyone have a recommendation for any scanners? I have looked at the Uniden BC796D. I was also looking at a baofend uv-5R

N8IAA

I am looking for a good scanner for my local fire and dispatch centers. The dispatch uses 33.800 MHz. Anyone have a recommendation for any scanners? I have looked at the Uniden BC796D. I was also looking at a baofend uv-5R

One of the most important things a new member should do when asking a question, is to state where they are and what frequencies/systems they want to monitor. Maybe you could post that info so someone could better help with your decision.

Can't figure out why you would purchase a UV-5R. It is made to use on the ham 2 meter (144-148 MHz) and 440-448 MHz bands. It does not receive 33 MHz.

The Uniden 796D is a decade plus old scanner.
The best scanners for low band are those that go from 25 MHz to 512 MHz with no trunking.
Larry

byndhlptom

Low band scanner

Just about any programmable scanner will receive the 30-50mhz low band. As long as it lists that band and receives analog OK, you'll be alright.

You might want to check what frequencies neighboring departments use, and add those bands to what you need. Also a lot of states have or are setting up state wide systems (usually trunked). That also may apply to your plans

If you need decoding of the dual tones (often used for paging), then you will need a more current scanner that supports what's often called "firetoneout" (Unidens wording).

Updating your profile to show your city/state will be helpful as noted by N8IAA is a good idea, makes the advise you get much more specific to your area.....

Welcome to the hobby, be forewarned, it can become addicting....

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Here's the problem: Without your location, no one can make a useful recommendation on a scanner that will receive more than just your local fire and EMS.

Why? Well, listening to the scanner is addicting. Sooner or later, you'll want to listen to your local, regional, and state law enforcement. You may also want to hear other fire and EMS activity on the other bands.

But depending on what kind of radio systems these other agencies may use, your initial scanner choice may not be able to hear them. There are so many different kinds of radio transmissions these days: P25, DMR, trunking, and a lot more. Your choice of scanner may or may not be able to handle all the different systems in operation in your area.

So, first add your location to your profile. Then come back to this thread and click on the little yellow triangular button (Report Post) in the upper right hand corner of your original post in this thread. Use that to ask an Admin to move this thread to the proper state's sub-forum. That way your questions can be answered by folks within your state who may have better knowledge of your local systems.

Also, may I suggest that you poke around RR a bit and get the lay of the land so that you are familiar with all the different discussion areas. That would include reading through the rules section.

Welcome to RR.

N8IAA

So, first add your location to your profile. Then come back to this thread and click on the little yellow triangular button (Report Post) in the upper right hand corner of your original post in this thread. Use that to ask an Admin to move this thread to the proper state's sub-forum.

Steve, that triangle is white outlined in Red.Larry

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Did those of you asking him to post his location happen to notice his profile info on the top right side says "Woodstock CT." after the word location?
Let's help a newcomer out...
He lives in Windam county and he's referring to Quinebaug Valley Emergency Communications system.
33.800 /179.9 pl is one of the fire frequencies used on that system.
They also use VHF and UHF frequencies. All appear to be analog.
A Uniden BCT15X would be my recommendation.

Manny

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Did those of you asking him to post his location happen to notice his profile info on the top right side says "Woodstock CT." after the word location?
Let's help a newcomer out...
He lives in Windham county and he's referring to Quinebaug Valley Emergency Communications system.
33.800 /179.9 pl is one of the fire frequencies used on that system.
They also use VHF and UHF frequencies. All appear to be analog.
A Uniden BCT15X would be my recommendation.

Manny

My bad! I missed the part where the OP had NOT yet added his location to his profile. I apologize. Just looking to help out a newcomer.

Manny

leadjammer

recommendations for a scanner

So where is this person from? And how did folks from GA, KS & NY end up posting on the CT Forum? How did he end up on the CT Forum. He must be from CT.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
So where is this person from? And how did folks from GA, KS & NY end up posting on the CT Forum? How did he end up on the CT Forum. He must be from CT.

He's from Woodstock up in Windham county on the northeast corner. Check out my post above. I made the mistake of not reading one of the posts. He's new to the forums and his OP did not have his location initially which has since been updated.

Manny

cg

Premium Subscriber
The Windham County FDs don't have a single radio system but a mashup of lowband, VHF Hi, and UHF. With crosspatch repeaters and extenders, you will need to program up all the channels and see what works best where you are.
The 796 is a decent radio, but because it is older technology, you will not be able to do as much as you could with the newer ones. If you are only interested in the local FDs, the 796 will be fine for a while to come. If you want to hear CSP as well, the days of monitoring it with a 796 will be shorter, perhaps only a year or so due to system upgrading.

chris

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
The Windham County FDs don't have a single radio system but a mashup of lowband, VHF Hi, and UHF. With crosspatch repeaters and extenders, you will need to program up all the channels and see what works best where you are.
The 796 is a decent radio, but because it is older technology, you will not be able to do as much as you could with the newer ones. If you are only interested in the local FDs, the 796 will be fine for a while to come. If you want to hear CSP as well, the days of monitoring it with a 796 will be shorter, perhaps only a year or so due to system upgrading.

chris

He only inquired about FD and the dispatch centers ( all analog ) in his OP which is why I suggested a BCT15X, but you make an excellent point Chris. I didn't even think about the CSP. I thought about the fire tone-out ability of the 15X, but of course the 996XT,P2 scanners have it as well.

Manny

Last edited:

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
He's from Woodstock up in Windham county on the northeast corner. Check out my post above. I made the mistake of not reading one of the posts. He's new to the forums and his OP did not have his location initially which has since been updated.

Manny

The post was still in General Scanning when I responded. Obviously it got moved after the OP filled in his location.

Status
Not open for further replies.