Recommendations for BL-5C Batteries & Charger?

rbenn

Premium Subscriber
I've recently purchased a few portable multi-band radios (R-108, etc. )that use the BL-5C rechargeable batteries. I'd like to extend my run-time with extra batteries and an external charger, like I do with my Uniden scanners.

A quick search on Amazon shows quite a variety of BL-5C options for both the battery and chargers. I thought I'd check in here and see if anyone has any recommendations.

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
I've recently purchased a few portable multi-band radios (R-108, etc. )that use the BL-5C rechargeable batteries. I'd like to extend my run-time with extra batteries and an external charger, like I do with my Uniden scanners.

A quick search on Amazon shows quite a variety of BL-5C options for both the battery and chargers. I thought I'd check in here and see if anyone has any recommendations.
It is quite good timing that you asked the question after the BL5-C batteries and charger. Mine arrived from Amazon yesterday, May 15, 2023.

I can recommend these:

I scrutinized them because of their cheap price of $20. Before usage I turned on my multimeter to check output voltage of the charger. It measured exactly 4.2 volts dc which is what we want for the BL5-C 3.7 volt battery. That passed. Then I checked the voltage of both batteries. One measured 3.86 volts and the other measured at 3.90 volts. They probably had a long stretch of time sitting in the box since the factory.

I always charge fresh out of the box batteries then deep cycle them 3 to 5 times to obtain their optimal capacity.

I also checked both batteries after first charging both measured 4.2 volts. Good enough for me.

I put the first battery into my Tecsun PL-330 and let it run. So far from constant over 12 hours of the radio being on the battery meter indicator shows full charge.

Boombox

I always charge fresh out of the box batteries then deep cycle them 3 to 5 times to obtain their optimal capacity.

I also checked both batteries after first charging both measured 4.2 volts. Good enough for me.

I put the first battery into my Tecsun PL-330 and let it run. So far from constant over 12 hours of the radio being on the battery meter indicator shows full charge.
How do you 'deep cycle' the batteries after first charging them?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Lithium Ion batteries do not suffer the memory effect like NiCad. No need to waste life cycles, just use then recharge. Also, the BL-5C will probably have around 1020 mAh. The 1600 mAh claim on the linked battery above is very suspicious.

I use these $8 two pack with a BT GPS.

Boombox

Lithium Ion batteries do not suffer the memory effect like NiCad. No need to waste life cycles, just use then recharge. Also, the BL-5C will probably have around 1020 mAh. The 1600 mAh claim on the linked battery above is very suspicious.

I use these $8 two pack with a BT GPS.
Thanks so much for that bit of info. The BL-5C in one of my radios is getting old and I am getting some backups / replacements. Wasn't sure about the decharge/recharge before using thing.

Boombox

It is quite good timing that you asked the question after the BL5-C batteries and charger. Mine arrived from Amazon yesterday, May 15, 2023.

I can recommend these:

I scrutinized them because of their cheap price of $20. Before usage I turned on my multimeter to check output voltage of the charger. It measured exactly 4.2 volts dc which is what we want for the BL5-C 3.7 volt battery. That passed. Then I checked the voltage of both batteries. One measured 3.86 volts and the other measured at 3.90 volts. They probably had a long stretch of time sitting in the box since the factory.

I just got this charger (and the two BL-5C batteries that come with it) and it didn't come with instructions. I take it that when you put in a battery the LED stays red until the battery is charged?

Boombox

I can answer my own question -- the Taezo charger is blue whenever the battery is charged, and also when the charger is idle, plugged in, with no battery in the charging station.

While the battery is charging the LED turns red/pink. Then when the battery is charged it turns blue again.

Takes several hours. Haven't timed it, but maybe 4-5 hours?

f you've got a radio that works off of BL-5C's it's well worth the money. I have a Grundig G2 and the extra charged batteries would come in handy if I take the radio travelling or camping, where there may not be AC handy (the radio can also charge its battery, it takes about 6 hours), or during a long power outage.