Recommendations for Handheld Trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iowafan

I am an Aircraft Maintenance Manager here in Memphis. I just bought a new Uniden BCD996T for my office and am now looking to get a new handheld radio with scanning capabilities (similar to the BCD996T) for monitoring and two way communication on the flight line. Any recommendations out there? Thanks to all in advance.

Kevin

Austin4Wyo

The BCD396T is essentially the handheld version of the 996. If it's financially realistic, that seems to me the way I'd go.

af5rn

Agreed. Keep it simple. If you get anything other than the 396, you're going to force yourself to have to learn a whole new operating system for it, including all new programming software, complicating the hobby for you. The 396 is better than the others, and it is pretty much the same as what you already have, so there's not much reason to look elsewhere.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
The other advantage to the 396 would (should) be you can use your existing 996 file to load the 396.

If there is a disadvantage to the 396 in the flight line environment, it would be the volume isn't the best, but then in a noise rich environment none of them are. A set of ear bud headphones work very well, the small wire would not interfere with wearing the noise protection headsets (the big ones).

I understand the noise, as I spent most of my AF career on the flight line.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Another point - I doubt that the 396 - or any scanner, for that matter - would be able to take the physical abuse that a professional radio would, even in the environment of aircraft maint. A good heavy duty carrying case - one that could protect the radio in case, for example, of it being dropped - would, I would think, be a must.

73 Mike

Iowafan

To all, I appreciate the quick feedback. I've looked at the 396 and it certainly looks to be a terrific handheld scanner. The problem is that it is a scanner only. I need two way communication. I currently have a Motorola handheld radio, but it doesn't have scanning capability for monitoring so I am constantly switching between channels to follow the operation and all of my crews (each crew has their own dedicated channel). So, I guess what I am looking for is a handheld that incorporates both the 2 way communication of my current Motorola handheld radio and the programmable scanning functions of my BCD996T. Thanks again to all.

SAR923

For two radios, you really need to talk to your employer and find out the policy regarding privately owned two radios. There are a number of commercial portables that scan, Motorola included, but I'm assuming your emplyer holds the license for these frequencies and that can get kind of touchy with the people responsible for the radio system.

af5rn

Okay, you didn't really make yourself clear in your original post. You're talking about simply scanning your company's channels? We thought you were looking for an all-purpose digital scanner. Do you even need digital? Is your company really digital? If so, be prepared to spend thousands on a transceiver capable of doing what you are looking for. If not, then you can get a programmable, scanning, professional Motorola radio for well under a thousand bucks.

But really, we cannot give you even the most rudimentary answer until you give us some, like what frequency range you are operating in, how many channels or talkgroups you run, and what type of system it is (LTR, Type III, EDACS, P25, conventional, etc...), and preferably who manufactures the company's equipment.

Iowafan

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=773

Thanks af5rn.....the aircraft maintenance channels in the "FedEx Talkgroups" at the bottom of the link (above) is my area of usage. Does this info help? Do you happen to have a model number for the sub-$1000 Motorola you were referencing? Like I said, I have a Motorola handheld 2 way radio now. It just doesn't have the programmable scanning capabilities I would like. Thanks again.

SAR923

You need to talk to your boss at Fed Ex about getting you a scanning HT portable if you really need it for your job. You're sharing a trunked system (which isn't digital, as far as I can tell) with a law enforcement agency. This is not something that you should be getting programmed on your own. I don't think either FeEx or the airport police will take kindly to the idea of privately owned radios on their trunked system without at a least a letter of authorization.

Status
Not open for further replies.