• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Recommendations for mobile GMRS antennas

jnojr

I bought a Larsen NMO https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M255NL2... and a TYT TH-7900.

Will that through-hole mount automatically provide an RF ground plane? Is there something specific the installer needs to do to make sure?

I want to get a "stubby" antenna I can leave on most of the time to clear the garage door. I may want to get a longer / "better" antenna for longer trips.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Depends on where you mount it... You want a nice flat place preferable in the center of the roof if possible and the best short antenna is a 1/4 wave UHF that is a 6" stainless steel whip.

K6GBW

A quarter wave or a PCTel short antenna. I think some people call them “Ghost” antennas. I use one on my Subaru Crosstrek and it works amazingly well. I have it in the back between the luggage rack and the AM/FM antenna. You really don’t even see it unless you’re looking for it.

jnojr

In your other post you were talking about a dual band radio and a 2 meter/70 centimeter antenna.
Is this the same radio?

If it's just GMRS, I agree, a basic 1/4 wave is hard to beat.
Yep. I'm mostly interested in GMRS but want to be able to use VHF & UHS as well.

And I'm OK carrying a GMRS antenna and a 2M antenna.

jnojr

Another question... I intend to have the mount where the roof will be a ground plane, but it's possible that might not happen. If I run a NGP antenna on a ground plane, will that cause problems? I know a GP antenna without a ground plane won't work out well at all. I want to make sure I have something when it gets installed.

K6GBW

If you install a proper NMO mount on a metal roof, you’ll be grounded. If you want a dual band antenna thats small but still works well take a look at the Comet B-10NMO. I ran for for years on three different cars and for only being 12” tall it worked really well.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Another question... I intend to have the mount where the roof will be a ground plane, but it's possible that might not happen. If I run a NGP antenna on a ground plane, will that cause problems?

Will not cause a problem.

A 1/2 wave "no ground plane" antenna will have 0dB of gain without a ground plane under it. It should tune down to low SWR without any issues.
A 1/2 wave "no ground plane" -with- a proper ground plane under it should give you about 2.4dB of gain and tune up just fine.

If you are going to do a permanent mount NMO for these antennas, make sure you consider suitable ground plane size for what you are doing:
GMRS/70 Centimeters will want 6" of ground plane in all directions under the antenna.
2 meter band will want around 19" of ground plane in all directions under the antenna. That's why center of the roof is ideal.

I know a GP antenna without a ground plane won't work out well at all. I want to make sure I have something when it gets installed.

The NMO mounts have some 'teeth' that bite into the underside of the sheet metal. As long as you install it on some sort of conductive material, and tighten it down reasonably tight (knuckles should NOT turn white for this procedure), you'll be just fine. You do not need to sand/grind the metal under the mount, the teeth will bite in just fine. You absolutely do not need to sand/grind around the top of the sheet metal under the antenna.

Long term, you'll be very happy you put the effort into a permanent mount. It does help performance and looks way more professional that the compromise mounts.

jnojr

If you are going to do a permanent mount NMO for these antennas, make sure you consider suitable ground plane size for what you are doing:
GMRS/70 Centimeters will want 6" of ground plane in all directions under the antenna.
2 meter band will want around 19" of ground plane in all directions under the antenna. That's why center of the roof is ideal.
I have a Hyundai Palisade. There are two glass panels up there, so no 19" If I get UHF and have to forget about VHF, I'll be OK.

In that scenario, will 2M be useless, suck, just not be "as good", etc.?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
In that scenario, will 2M be useless, suck, just not be "as good", etc.?

No, won't be useless, just less than ideal. Plenty of 'less than ideal' installs out there that work just fine.
California Highway Patrol running low band from the roof of their cars has no where near enough ground plane, yet they can be heard all over the country when conditions are right.