• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

recommendations for mobile repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulears

I've got a number of systems I manage and hire out, and for a job starting in the summer I need to equip a small van with a repeater for on site coverage on UHF. Most of my kit is Kenwood - lots of analogue and a smaller amount of Nexedge. This one will be very simple - low power - no more than 5W or so, separate antennae so no duplexer, 12V only operation - but modest in size. I do have a TYT TR-50 that I'm not that impressed with, but that size would be great, although I can go a little larger. It's unlikely I'll recover the purchase price on the job, so although I'd like something 'clever', it's really not necessary.

Does anyone have an favourite smallish repeaters they'd recommend?
Thanks Paul

jim202

I've got a number of systems I manage and hire out, and for a job starting in the summer I need to equip a small van with a repeater for on site coverage on UHF. Most of my kit is Kenwood - lots of analogue and a smaller amount of Nexedge. This one will be very simple - low power - no more than 5W or so, separate antennae so no duplexer, 12V only operation - but modest in size. I do have a TYT TR-50 that I'm not that impressed with, but that size would be great, although I can go a little larger. It's unlikely I'll recover the purchase price on the job, so although I'd like something 'clever', it's really not necessary.

Thanks Paul

You can take a look at this site: Pyramid Communications Home - Pyramid Communications

They have some nice equipment that can be configured for many uses. They are not rock bottom in price, but they do work well and the people there are good to work with.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Since you have NXDN radios, are you interested in a repeater that will do both analog and NXDN?

An NXR-800 will do 5 watts. It's one rack unit, so easy to stick in a rack mount or rack mount case. It's got separate TX and RX antenna ports. Runs off 12 volts.

Trouble is, the NXR-800 has been replaced by the NXR-5800, which is probably more than what you want. None the less, there may still be some new NXR-800's out there at dealers or on the used market.

NXR-810 is a 25 to 50 watt unit, and be turned down to 5 watts if you want. List price is around 2K.

paulears

Thanks Jim - not a make I'd heard of here in the UK, and somewhat pricey, but thanks for the info. Size wise, they fit the bill though!
Mmckenna - I do have an 810 - which is a bit too big. maybe the 1U version could be squeezed in vertically, if I make up some brackets?

Last edited:

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Icom FR8000 if memory serves correctly. Should be a full duplex unit in a mobile former factor (similar to that of the R1225).

Of course, Simoco has the SRM9000 series mobiles which can be turned into a P25 repeater (or analog) if that functionality is needed.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
NXR-810 can be removed from its rack mount frame. Cuts the width in half. Is that still too big? You'd have to cook up an alternate mounting scheme though.

paulears

Really? In that case, problem solved because I can live with the height, just 19" wide was too much for the space. I can easily make up mounting hardware - brilliant!

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Do you check what a licence cost for you when use a repeater?
Here in Austria a Radio System cost x10 more than a DECT System or Cellphone Contract.

Firebuff880

As suggested the NXR-800 if you want the digital NXDN, if you just want Analog or are looking at DMR then the Motorola SLR-5700 in a 19" or the SLR-1000 (Not sure if it is shipping yet) in the IP67 "pool" case. The 1000 is a 5700 repacked max 10 Watts.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I need to equip a small van with a repeater for on site coverage on UHF... I do have a TYT TR-50 that I'm not that impressed with, but that size would be great, although I can go a little larger... It's unlikely I'll recover the purchase price on the job,

Thanks Paul

Do you mean a HYTERA TR-50? if so, please do not roll it in with Tytera junk.

If you have a mobile duplexer, then you should be set. even with a crappy mobile duplexer you should not have anywhere near 3dB of loss , unless you are using a pair that is less than 5MHz apart. I would not mess with trying to get dual antennas to work. Rather than spend money on a new repeater, use what you already have on hand, so you don't have to lose money on the venture

paulears

Sorry - meant HYT, but to be fair, this isn't the most reliable repeater being one of those designs where you take two handhelds and bung them in a case, tag the links onto the pcb, and add a power supply. I'm not keen to use a duplexers as they really don't like vibration, and two antennas seem the sensible way. It's looking like I might be able to get a Kenwood 810 into the van, if I bolt it to the bulkhead at the bottom, as it angles, and I have a few extra inches at floor level - Right angle connectors should do the trick. It looks like the van roof will need a few extra holes for this one. There are three at the moment already.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
With out adequate vertical separation dual antennas will not work on a van, you will not get enough horizontal separation. Mobile duplexes are just that, duplexes mentioned for a mobile environment

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

paulears

Really - I've rarely had issues doing this for years, as have the Police and numerous other organisations. UHF back-to back was a feature on loads of Police vehicles, and the broadcast OB vehicles I work with often have the similar system for their local talkback. There is certainly desense, but 6MHz or more split, it doesn't seem to have been a major headache. Vertical stacking is clearly better practice, and common on towers, but is there really a problem with limited area coverage?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Really - I've rarely had issues doing this for years, as have the Police and numerous other organisations. UHF back-to back was a feature on loads of Police vehicles, and the broadcast OB vehicles I work with often have the similar system for their local talkback. There is certainly desense, but 6MHz or more split, it doesn't seem to have been a major headache. Vertical stacking is clearly better practice, and common on towers, but is there really a problem with limited area coverage?
All depends on terrain, and area you need to cover. Most modern receivers in portables/mobiles are pretty broad banded, not like the days of mitrek mobiles with helical preselectors. I would expect lots of desense, 6MHz is not a lot of frequency separation if trying to use dual antennas with only horizontal separation.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
There is actually a formula for figuring out...but Repeater-Builder has the guesstiment charts that Motorola built years ago for figuring out needed separation.

paulears

Quick report - so far the results are NOT encouraging. Kayn's prediction appear to be correct and the separation is not sufficient. In fact, so poor that I need a spacing of 11MHz before I get a system that would be usable. I had hoped that 8MHz would be acceptable but the repeater even on low power desenses the receiver far too much. I'm now on plan B. Kenwood repeater in a 4U rack, with a small fixed station duplexer, wrapped in foam in the 2U empty space, and a single antenna. Takes up far too much space, but appears to be a working solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.