Recommendations for Radio Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

zingos

Hey folks,

Right now I'm limited to monitoring the activity in my area (actually a few miles northwest of my area...) over streaming internet connections. I'd like to buy a scanner that can preferably pick up my own town's (Tempe, AZ) police/fire/EMT frequencies. I believe they are truncated, but my understanding of how this works is quite limited. I'm going to buy a book soon, so as not to annoy people with stupid questions, but until then are there any recommendations for a cost-effective scanner that can pick up my town's activity? We're starting a family so I really want to be aware of our surroundings.

Thanks,
Z

zingos

I'm bidding on all kinds of scanners on eBay. Can't hurt. If they're good, someone will probably bid above my $9.99. LOL. Maybe I'll get lucky. Pointers for what to look for in a scanner would be soooo great. Hope this doesn't turn into a flame war between advocates of different brands. ;)

zingos

Hopefully you understand my paranoia. If you're a parent you probably will. Who wants their daughter born into... whatever our existence is? I need to protect my baby girl. :)

Pvtqueball

Premium Subscriber
I understand about that i have 2 girls but the reason I am getting my scanner is basically for the same reason but being on a vol fire dept i have found my self having to wait on county units to arrive before i can get onscene for a medical or something but also to find out what is going on in my area and it is not being paranoied just being a good parent who wants to be informed about stuff going on!

Rusty

captclint

Mentor
I'd like to buy a scanner that can preferably pick up my own town's (Tempe, AZ) police/fire/EMT frequencies.
Welcome to RR. Before you do much bidding, you should know that most of what you want is Digital: (some is encrypted, which can't t be received) Regional Wireless Cooperative (RWC) Trunking System, Phoenix, Arizona and the rest may be trunked: Tempe City Services and Public Safety Trunking System Digital automatically comes with trunked capability, but a trunking scanner must be digital to get what you want.
There are very few choices for digital, and the all cost around $500. I hear Radio Shack is running specials at $100 off, so you might want to check that out.
There ARE some differences between manufactures of digital, which could be elaborated if you plan to spend that kind of dough. Also, I highly recommend software to go with your scanner to help you program and learn more about the features.
Here's some info about trunking: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Common_Trunking_Programming_Questions
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.